Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
14 points on Patience. Pastor Joe Sugrue.
Friday, October 13, 2006
Satan will often disguise himself as an angel of light.
As the believer matures God will give the green light to demon opposition.
REV 2:10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
ROM 8:17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him.
PHI 1:29 For to you it has been granted for Christâ€™s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,
1 Pe 3:17 For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong.
Satan will scheme to prevent your pastor from teaching you.
1 Th 2:18 For we wanted to come to you — I, Paul, more than once — and yet Satan thwarted us.
REV 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan , who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
Another of Satan’s schemes is to get the believer to hold a grudge against another and thus causing division.
The church age believer effectively handles the schemes of the devil by picking up and putting on his armor and then holding his ground with sword at the ready.
1. The patience and longsuffering of God are related to his lovingkindness and truth, PSA 86:15 But Thou, O Lord, art a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger [patient and longsuffering] and abundant in lovingkindness and truth.
2. Patience and longsuffering are also related to the compassion of the Lord, in PSA 103:8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger [patient and longsuffering] and abounding in lovingkindness.
3. Patience and longsuffering is related to the power or omnipotence of God, NAH 1:3 The Lord is slow to anger[patient and longsuffering] and great in power,
4. The patience and longsuffering of God is related to the principle of repentance, ROM 2:4 or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?
PSA 18:35 Thou hast also given me the shield of Thy salvation, And Thy right hand upholds me; And Thy gentleness makes me great.
5. The patience and longsuffering of God is related to the Lordâ€™s tolerance and endurance with us, 1TI 1:16and yet for this reason I found mercy, in order that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience, as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
Patience is developed by and is the production of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.
1. Patience results from the filling of the spirit.
GAL 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
“patience” is makrothumia = long-suffering, patience, forbearance. Makro = long; thumos = heart or mind.
JOH 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.
2. Patience is developed through the power of the Spirit and the power of bible doctrine in the soul of the believer.
COL 1:11 Strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience;
3. Patience and longsuffering is a system of thinking, it is not an emotion.
COL 3:12 and so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart [right lobe] of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
4. Patience will give us the power and the gracious system of thinking to have great understanding and sensitivity toward others.
PRO 14:29 He who is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who is quick-tempered exalts folly.
Where does it all begin? Abide in Christ. Be filled with the Spirit and live in His plan.
5. Patience with others will also help us resolve and reconcile differences.
PRO 15:18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but the slow to anger pacifies contention.
6. Patience is a virtue which gives the believer fantastic strength under pressure.
PRO 16:32 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.
7. Patience will also allow us to be discrete and overlook the sins of others.
PRO 19:11 A manâ€™s discretion makes him slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook a transgression.
8. Patience allows us to rest in the Lord and let the Supreme Court Judge handle any unfair or unjust treatment,PSA 37:7.
PSA 37:7 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
9. Patience gives us the strength and power to handle undeserved suffering and mal-treatment and bring glory to the Lord.
1PE 2:20 for what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.
10. It is having your doctrine and the faith rest drill tested in your life which will give you patience.
JAM 1:3-4 knowing that the testing of your faith [your doctrine; faith-rest drill] produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
11. The pastor-teacher must have extreme patience with members of his congregation.
2TI 4:2 Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
12. The Lord has made many promises to you as a believer, and patience is also needed concerning the promises of God.
HEB 6:12 That you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
HEB 6:15 and thus, having patiently waited, he [Abraham] obtained the promise.
13. Patience is also needed after you have done all that you are suppose to do and things in your life have still not changed.
HEB 10:36 for you have need of patience, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.
COL 3:12 put on a heart [right lobe] of patience;
14. Patience allows us to put up with people and each other as we continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
EPH 4:2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to one another in love,