Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Abraham sows the wind [Hagar] and reaps the whirlwind [Sarah], Part 2.
Wednesday, November 14, 2001
Whirlwind – cuwphah = a hurricane, a tornado, or a storm.
sow = zara` = to sow your seed, to distribute, to plant – what you invest your time, talent and treasure in.
MAT 6:19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
MAT 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; MAT 6:21 for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
LUK 12:33 “Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves purses which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near, nor moth destroys.”
wind – ruwach = vain, empty, meaningless; the vanity of the frantic search for happiness.
Reap – qatsar = to reap, to harvest, to earn.
GAL 6:7-10 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary.
Cuwphah – a hurricane, a storm, a tornado, or severe storm. saar – whirlwind, storm, or hurricane; to rush upon or to be tossed about violently.
The judgment of negative volition to doctrine, PRO 1:24-33. Adultery always makes boys out of men.
1. No matter what the circumstances, adultery is wrong.
Women are responders, not counselors. 3. Sarai told Abram it was right, but Sarai was wrong, and adultery is wrong, and Abram and Sarai reaped the whirlwind.
4. Permission to sin from someone else does not justify sin.
6. No one can change the rules, God makes the rules.
1. Sowing to the wind, verses 1-3.
3. Justice of Jesus Christ, verses 7-16.
Verse 1 – the barrenness of Sarai, lots of sex and no pregnancy.
In the ancient world, it was considered important for a woman to get pregnant.
Sarai = contentious
The real character of our faith is determined by our patience.
1. The hardest thing God has to do is to give us something with no conditions, no strings attached.
2. We are all prone to think in terms of conditions.
3. Grace is God doing something for us we cannot earn, deserve, work for, or even evolve a plan that will meet the need, 1CO 4:6.