Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
The Abrahamic Covenant, Part 16. The importance of Abraham being accurate in his worship toward God.
Thursday, May 2, 2002
The key is the place - el-hammaqom - a specific place where God wanted the burnt offering.
REV 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
Arranged - Qal imperfect - `arak = to arrange or set in order.
Only a right thing done in a right way is right.
The right place is the predesigned plan of God.
The right way is operating under the power of God the Holy Spirit.
HEB 8:5 Just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “See,” He says, “that you make all things according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.”
EXO 25:40 “And see that you make them after the pattern for them, which was shown to you on the mountain.”EXO 26:30 “Then you shall erect the tabernacle according to its plan which you have been shown in the mountain.” EXO 27:8 “You shall make it hollow with planks; as it was shown to you in the mountain, so they shall make it.”
NUM 8:4 Now this was the workmanship of the lampstand, hammered work of gold; from its base to its flowers, it was hammered work; according to the pattern which the LORD had showed Moses, so he made the lampstand.
Accuracy did and should exist in the tabernacle of God?
REV 21:3 Behold the tabernacle of God is set up among men, and He shall dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be among them.
The prophet Jeremiah warned the children of Israel, JER 49:20; 50:45. Therefore hear the “plan” of the Lord.
JER 18:12 We are going to follow “our own plans,” and each one will act according to the stubbornness of his evil heart.
PRO 14:14 “The backslider in heart will have his fill of his own ways,”
Four people are going to be changed - two slaves, one son, and one of the most remarkable people in history.
Little things are important in relationship to a mature believer who only has time for one thing, thinking and executing the will of God properly.
MAT 10:41 “He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophets reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous mans reward.”
1. He went “to the place” of which God had told him, 'el-hammaqom.
2. He built an altar. Qal imperfect - banah = to build, to construct or to set up.
3. He arranged the wood. Qal imperfect - arak = to arrange or set in order.
4. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar on top of the wood.
JOH 13:20 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.”
MAT 10:42 “And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you he shall not lose his reward.”
MAR 9:41 “For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.”
LUK 16:10 He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much;
LUK 19:17 And he said to him, “Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, be in authority over ten cities.”
ECC 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, verily, do it with all your might;
Isaac was obedient to his fathers authority even as his father was obedient to divine authority.
The son has confidence in his father as his father has confidence in God.
Authority doesnt have to have physical strength to exercise authority; authority has to have mental strength.
MAT 27:2 and they bound Him, and led Him away, and delivered Him up to Pilate the governor.
LUK 2:7 And she gave birth to her first-born son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger.
LUK 23:53 And he took it down and wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid Him in a tomb cut into the rock, where no one had ever lain.
“Angel of the Lord” - “mal'akh Yahweh” = TLJC.
“Called” - a shout = Qal imperfect - qara.
Two vocatives, the doubling of the proper noun Abraham - 'Avraham 'Avraham.
“Moses Moses” - EXO 3:4. “Samuel Samuel” 1SA 3:10. “Jacob Jacob” - GEN 46:2.
1. Abraham has demonstrated ultra super-grace status by a complete and total obedience to the will of God without questioning Gods wisdom or challenging Gods justice.
2. The application of doctrine in the mature believer is simple; what God gives, God has the right to take away because God has all the rights.
3. It is the judgment of the Giver which is important, not the judgment of the beneficiary.
4. The sooner we learn that our opinions are not important, the sooner we advance in the spiritual realm.
PRO 18:2 “A self-confident fool has no delight in understanding but only in revealing his personal opinions and himself.” (Amplified Bible)
5. God requires that all mature believers set aside their personal opinions and prejudices in favor of divine opinions of divine justice.
6. There is no room for two opinions or viewpoints in the reality of spiritual maturity.
Robert R. McLaughlin All Rights Reserved 2002