Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
October 25, 2019
Gal 6:12, Those who desire to make a good showing in the flesh try to compel you to be circumcised, simply that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ.
The majority were saying, you must be circumcised and therefore it was "unpopular" to stand up for the truth.
They don't want to make an issue out of truth and doctrine; they want to put their doctrines aside and love everyone.
Martin Luther -- "If I declare with loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of God's truth except for that one little bit which the world and the devil are at the moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ no matter how boldly I may be professing Christ.”
For the soldier to be steady on all the battlefield besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that single point."
One of the major doctrinal privileges that we have in Joh 15 on the Vine and the branches is the subject of pruning.
- Pruning means to cut off the negative elements that are hindering and destroying the branches of the trees, especially the Vine and the branches, as in our passage.
- Pruning is the action of clearing away anything that could hinder you or even go so far as hurting you from growing spiritually, including people.
- The branches that were pruned because of their faithfulness and fulfillment of the calling of God upon their life, were the type of believers who our Lord called “winners.” (JOH 15:8; Rev 2 & 3).
That is only if you have been faithful in your intake of doctrine NOW.
Notice the two important words in this passage, we have the branches and the fruit mentioned.
"If you abide in Me” = fellowship with the Lord;
“My words abide in you” = doctrines at home in our hearts;
“ask whatever you wish” = requests; petitions and intercessions;
“it shall be done for you” = a dogmatic statement of fact.
- Pruning process = a process that God the Holy Spirit will empower us to meet the enemies of our Lord with a greater power no matter what the challenge; 1Jo 4:4.
The Doctrine of Pruning represents the "cutting away" of the flesh.
It was the prophet Isaiah who said that we are all going to learn the truth, one way or another, either the hard way or the easy way - it’s all up to you; ISA 29:24.
- Pruning does not imply the purging away of the old sin nature in this life, there is no such thing as the eradication or extermination of the flesh; 1JO 1:5-10.
When purging the believer, it does indicate that by union with Christ, the believer in time is delivered from the power and the authority of the old sin nature.
Your flesh, or your old sin nature has been cut off from the Lord positionally ever since the moment of your salvation.
This is why we have such commands and directions; Rom 8:4, “We do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.”
Purging can be a manifestation of the winner believer or purging can be a manifestation of the loser believer.
The purging may look the same outwardly, but the purging may not be for the same thing inwardly.
JOH 7:24, "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."
Experientially we should all recognize what the apostle Paul dogmatically taught in Rom 8:8, Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
The Bible says that our flesh or the Adamic nature, is dead.
It was crucified with Crist on the cross and the only thing that your dead flesh can produce is dead works.
Rom 8:12, So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
Rom 8:13, for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
The apostle Paul gives us the reason why we have a spiritual pruning which is to be CUT OFF experientially or be separated from our flesh in Gal 5:17.
Gal 5:17, for the flesh sets its desire against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
The believer is delivered from human ability, energy of the flesh, human good and lust motivation of any kind.
- The Doctrine of Pruning also says that never again are we to depend upon our old sin nature as well as others.
Never again is there to be any energy of the flesh activity in our lives.
- The biblical meaning of the word pruning which is to “cut off” or “cut away” dead things that may be are poisoning the branches that are alive.
- We are also commanded to learn that those branches that bear fruit will continue do so as long as they continually accept the doctrine of pruning.
- This pruning process is something that we should all be very thankful for and something that should motivate and reveal our appreciation to all of those believers who have PVTD.
- Pruning is the need that all of God’s people have at certain times of having certain things taken away from us or it is the cutting away of something from someone.
It could be the cutting away of someone from someone. It could be the cutting away of someone from someone.
We saw that when we studied the life of Abraham and the Lord had to cut Abraham off from his father by removing his father from this life through death.
Their problem is not with me or you, their problem is what does the Bible say?
First of all, the oldest book in the Bible is the Book of Job and one of the first doctrinal principles that we learn concerning death is found in the very first chapter; JOB 1:21.
JOB 1:21, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
In 1SA 2:6, “The Lord kills and makes alive; He brings down to Sheol and raises up. The Lord makes poor and rich; He brings low, He also exalts.”
It could be the cutting away of someone from someone.
It could be the cutting away of someone from something.
It could be the cutting away of something from something.
Vine – branches = the pruning or the cutting away is not just cutting off the dead parts that are damaging to our spiritual life, but it also cuts away the power of the OSN over the believer.
The Pruning Process will cut away anything that would hinder the believer’s spiritual growth.
Sometimes pruning hinders the growth of the plant or of the vine and sometimes, if the damage is really bad, it can hinder the roots from functioning properly.
When it comes to pruning, we need each other to build up and edify ourselves.
When it comes to pruning, one of the most important functions of pruning is to separate the live branches from the dead branches.
Pruning can come in many different ways because if we do not receive the spiritual pruning that is needed at the time, there is no way we will ever live the spiritual life that our Lord desires for us to live.
Prin: Pruning is the benefit of having our Lord perform the changes needed in our life even if it hurts some, at the time.
Let’s look at the context of what I call planning, planting, and pruning.