Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Be careful for the Laban's and the Jacob's in life, the con-artist.
Thursday, July 18, 2002
1. All of us at some time or another are going to bump into a Jacob or Laban in this life, MAT 26:47-49.
2. Being people smart is no defense against the con-artists of this life, Gen 12, Gen 20.
3. Spiritual maturity is no defense against the con-artists of this life; David was one of the greatest believers of all time, and he was conned by certain individuals, 2Sa 13.
4. There are times that it is good for anyone in life to be taken in by a Jacob or a Laban because there are so many things to learn.
5. Sometimes greatness in business, in a profession, in the spiritual life, or even in social life are measured in terms of con-artist testing, 2TH 1:6, 1TH 4:6.
Once the con is through you have to make a decision - give it over to the supreme court of heaven or get even.
6. All of us at sometime will fail because it is inevitable that the very thing that makes us strong, honor and integrity, also makes us vulnerable and even weak, PSA 55:12-14.
PSA 55:12-13 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, Then I could bear it; Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, Then I could hide myself from him. But it is you, a man my equal, My companion and my familiar friend.
PSA 55:14 We who had sweet fellowship together, Walked in the house of God in the midst of the congregation.
The local assembly is the place where doctrine is taught and the kingdom of darkness desires to do whatever it can to distract people from the intake of doctrine.
7. The con-artist uses others to fulfill his objective, sometimes it is the victim, or those close to the victim, or just as many people as possible to make the con stick, Gen 29.
8. The con-artist must deceive his victim, 2SA 11:14-17.
2TI 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds.
9. The con-artist is a reversionist and in using deceit, must hide the evidence to make the lie stick, PRO 26:24-26.
Arrogance, PRO 6:17. A lying tongue, PRO 6:17. Murder, PRO 6:17. Evil plans, PRO 6:18. Troublemakers,PRO 6:18. False witnesses, PRO 6:19. Sow discord, PRO 6:19.
10. A con-artist must do something to flatter himself with his victim, whether it is using inferiority or superiority,PSA 55:21.
11. A con-artist must give the impression to his victim that he hates everyone his victim hates, even if he must pretend to hate his true friends. He must also appear to love people his victim loves. He must be a super hypocrite, LUK 20:20, PSA 62:4.
PSA 62:4 They have counseled only to thrust him down from his high position; They delight in falsehood; They bless with their mouth, But inwardly they curse. Selah.
JER 12:6 “For even your brothers and the household of your father, Even they have dealt treacherously with you, Even they have cried aloud after you. Do not believe them, although they may say nice things to you.”
Robert R. McLaughlin All Rights Reserved 2002