Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
January 5, 2022
Notice the untaught and those who are unstable are those who have NVTD and reject the concept of spiritual metabolism.
Since you understand that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, then you will live your life with confidence and security.
Notice that the heavens will be destroyed by burning and the elements will melt with intense heat because our Lord will destroy the heavens and create a new heaven and a new earth.
REV 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea.
REV 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.
Since you know these things in advance, beware!
As believers we are designed to be spiritually self-sustained and that can only come by knowing certain doctrines in advance.
When Peter says to grow in grace and knowledge, the word for knowledge is gnosis not epignosis.
You cannot solve the problems of life with gnosis doctrine.
You cannot solve the problems of life with academic information only, it must be more then knowledge, it must be wisdom.
The only solution to the problems of life is spiritual information concerning the divine solution.
Between the academic and the spiritual there must be metabolism.
In verse 17, the phrase "be on your guard" indicates that with metabolized doctrine we have an instant red alert system in our soul.
Metabolizing PSD #9, the happiness of God, gives us the ability to be alert, or to beware.
The degree of metabolize doctrine in the heart determines the degree in which the believer will be spiritually self-sustained.
Metabolize doctrine gives us momentum in our spiritual lives and discernment to destroys human viewpoint; 2CO 10:5.
2CO 10:5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
2PE 3:17 "Knowing this beforehand" is the word “proginosko” which means before the moment needed the word is given.
PHI 4:18 But I have received everything in full, and have an abundance; I am amply supplied,
Notice what Paul said about the believer being provided for; 2CO 8:2-5.
Also note what the apostle Paul wrote about the graciousness of certain believers in Corinth; 2CO 8:2-5.
After “prologos”, before the moment needed the Word is given, then Peter says ‘be on your guard.’
"be on your guard" = the present middle imperative of the Greek verb “phulasso” which means to be on your guard; to be on the alert, to beware, to watch one’s self.
In MAT 26:38, we can learn about our Lord’s sufferings if we watch.
MAT 26:38 Then He said to them, "My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me."
In MAT 26:41, we can learn about the spirit being willing, but the flesh is weak is we watch ourselves."
MAT 26:41 "Keep watching and praying, that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."
In MAR 8:15, we learn about the danger of legalism and immoral degeneracy if we watch as we are told.
MAR 8:15 And He was giving orders to them, saying, "Watch out! Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees [legalism] and the leaven of Herod [immoral degeneracy.]
In LUK 11:35, we need to watch out about the light that is in you because it might be darkness.
LUK 11:35 "Then watch out that the light in you may not be darkness.”
The pastor needs to watch over the members of his congregation because they must give an account to see if they are watching over their souls; HEB 13:17.
HEB 13:17 Obey your leaders, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account [to God]. Let them do this with happiness and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.
2JO 1:8 Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.
Alertness can only exist when there is metabolize doctrine in the heart!
When Peter says this is a command to be alert and have proper discernment concerning cosmic Christianity.
Verse 18 is the main reason why I wanted to teach how PSD #9, sharing the happiness of God is related to spiritual metabolism and the free-will of man to grow up spiritually.
The word "but" is the particle de used to emphasize the contrast with the previous verse.
Verse 17 deals with the warning against cosmic Christianity.
"but grow" – pres-act-imp of auxzano which means to grow, to increase, to progress.
Joseph Thayer says that the word means to become greater with a substance, which is grace and knowledge.
The present tense means keep growing...be persistent.
The only way a believer can grow is with metabolize doctrine.
Peter says grow in grace and gnosis not what we would expect which is grace and epignosis.
Gnosis is food on the table.
Food on the table cannot provide energy for the body, the food must be metabolized.
The active voice, the mature believer eats the Word of God and produces the action of the verb.
The imperative mood - this is a command.
”in grace” = en plus the locative of charis which means in the sphere or the location of grace.
Grace is the provision of divine character and divine integrity.
Grace is God doing all the work and providing everything for us to execute His plan.
- The formation and the preservation of the canon of scripture which is the Bible.
- The divine authorization of the local church as a classroom.
- The provision of a certain pastor for the communication of doctrine.
- The filling of the Holy Spirit and spiritual phenomena understood, to that it can be metabolized.
- The provision and the privacy of the royal priesthood for receiving doctrine.
- Logistical grace support to sustain your life so that you can fulfill the divine commands.
"growing in grace" is a process that starts with the authority of your pastor-teacher who knows doctrine and who teaches it.
There must be a willingness to sit down and listen to it without getting arrogant or emotional.
The word knowledge is gnosis not epignosis or not the word for metabolize.
You might think that it should say “grow in the grace and wisdom or metabolize doctrine of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, but it does not say that.
Why does Peter use gnosis instead of epignosis?
He says” grow in grace and “gnosis" or by means of knowledge.
The noun “knowledge” is in the instrumental of manner which refers to the instruments that God uses so that doctrine can become metabolized.
The believer is not to grow in grace and metabolized doctrine but he is to grow in grace and the knowledge of how to metabolize doctrine so that it can be used.
Epignosis is one of the Greek words that means metabolize doctrine or the only doctrine that works in your life.
He cannot command believers to metabolize doctrine, he will only take the believer as far as his volition, then the believer must choose to accept or reject the doctrine being taught.
PVTD = metabolizing gnosis into epignosis.
NVTD = the rejection of gnosis into epignosis.
Peter will only bring us to the point of gnosis then we must make our own decisions to accept Peter’s challenge of how to grow in grace and knowledge or gnosis verses epignosis.
This is Peter honoring the rules of volition in the Angelic Conflict.
Peter knew the importance of honoring believers and the doctrine of privacy and not to be busybodies meddling into the affairs of others, 1PE 4:15.
1PE 4:15 By no means let any of you suffer as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler;
Because “free will” is the entire issue in the angelic conflict.
This is one of the reasons why God will not violate the free will of the believer and command him to believe it whether they want to or not.
Because volition is the issue at gnosis and Peter will not command you to eat it, you must choose to eat yourself.
God is a perfect Gentleman and will not force Himself upon anyone.
You might not have the ability to eat if you lack certain problem-solving devices such as the filling of the Spirit.
This is another reason why a pastor’s job is to feed the flock (1PE 5:2).
1PE 5:2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;
His job is to feed the congregation not to make them eat.
God the Holy Spirit is a Gentleman and He will not force it upon you either.
Without "your consent,” God the Holy Spirit will not metabolize the doctrine.
Gnosis is the instrument that indicates the method or the means that a believer reaches spiritual adulthood.
“grow by means of gnosis or knowledge.”
2PE 3:18 but keep growing in grace by means of knowledge
It is by means of gnosis that we grow if we eat it.
Only metabolize doctrine provides occupation with Christ and the motivation for living the Christian way of life.
Just as physical food gives you energy in life, metabolize doctrine gives you energy and momentum in the Christian life.
The next phrase tells us what type of knowledge we are to grow in and that is of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Once the doctrine is communicated it is up to you to make the decision, no one else.
If you make positive decisions, the enabling power of the Spirit will metabolize it and make it a part of your spiritual growth.
When this has happened and X number of times, you will eventually reach those different stages of spiritual growth or spiritual adulthood.
No pastor is accountable for what people do with the doctrine that he teaches.
After we grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ then we are told that the pastor is accountable to teach his students that it is “to Him be glory both now and to the day of eternity; Amen.
- The objective of metabolize doctrine is the glorification of our Lord Jesus Christ in the life of the believer.
- Your life forever and ever depends upon having a maximum amount of metabolize doctrine in your soul which will manifest itself by living in PSD #9, the perfect happiness of God.
- Because of the rejection of 2PE 3:18, there will be some believers who will never be allowed to enjoy certain privileges on earth or in heaven.
- El Shaddai is one of the names used for God and it means “The Almighty, all-sufficient God” who gives us more than enough – more than sufficient.
Everything God does is over the top, more than enough, a surplus, super-abundant, overflowing, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over!
LUK 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."
- The believer who wears the invisible uniform of honor (EPH 6) will receive the crown of righteousness.
- The function of impersonal love is the manifestation of the invisible uniform of honor.
2TI 4:7 I have fought the good or honorable fight, I have finished the course [execution of the PPOG], I have kept the faith or guarding the doctrine.
2TI 4:8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all those who have loved His appearing = winner believers.
- The crown of righteousness is a decoration for the attainment, perpetuation, and activity of spiritual maturity.
- Accompanying the crown of righteousness is a tremendous number of extra privileges, blessings, and opportunities in time and in the eternal state.
Then there's the crown of life which is awarded to the Church-age believer who in spiritual maturity passes evidence testing.
Evidence testing is administered by Satan as an extension of the angelic conflict.
REV 2:10 'Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
- This tells us that happiness is not confined to prosperity, to having things going your way but happiness is provided by Bible doctrine and exists under the greatest categories of adversity.
JAM 1:12 says "Happy is that person who perseveres under testing, for once he has passed the [evidence] test, he will receive the crown of life which god has promised to those who love him."
- The crown of life is awarded to all members of the Royal Family of God who utilize the problem-solving devices and advance to maturity and then use +H to pass evidence testing.
- There is also the incorruptible crown which is given to those who mastered the OSN through dedication and devotion to the PPOG.
- Then there is the crown of rejoicing for being soul winners, 1TH 2:19 for who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?
DAN 12:3 "And those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness [soul winners], like the stars forever and ever.
PRO 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who is wise wins souls.
- The crown of glory is awarded to pastors who faithfully study and teach Bible doctrine to their congregation by which the congregation attains spiritual maturity.
HEB 6:10, for God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward his name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.
- The winner who receives the crowns mentioned so far not only has vast estates in the eternal state, but he receives this decoration and others that go with it.
This decoration is taken from and named after our Lord's third royal title; "King of kings, Lord of lords, the bright morning star."
The order of the morning star is given to winners as the highest of all decorations in escrow blessings given by our Lord.
This decoration is awarded for the maintenance of spiritual maturity in what may be called an ultra- supergrace status.
- The mature believer will be a king over a gentile nation and rule during the Millennium which is the highest manifestation of glorifying the Lord Jesus Christ in the Church-age.
This same title was given to him at the ascension and session and is related to both the strategic victory and tactical victory of the angelic conflict.
REV 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root [Jesus Christ as eternal God] and the offspring of David, [Jesus Christ in Hypostatic union] the bright morning star. [His title for the First and Second advents]."
In NUM 24:17, his title is related to his strategic victory in the angelic Conflict.
NUM 24:17 "I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near; A star [Christ as the morning star] shall come forth from Jacob [First advent] And a scepter shall rise from Israel [Second Advent],
MAT 2:2 "where is he who has been born king of the jews? For we saw his star in the east, and have come to worship him."
- The morning star is named after our Lord's royal title and is given for historical impact in the Church-age.
It authorizes the recipient to reign with Christ in the Millennium and hold the highest privileges for all eternity.
- There is the uniform of honor, being invisible and worn in the soul, is exchanged at the judgment seat of Christ for the translucent uniform of glory worn over the resurrection body.
It was first modeled by Jesus Christ on the mount of transfiguration, MAT 17:2 And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.
- The uniform of glory is given as a translucent light which covers the resurrection body, REV 3:4‑5, "they will walk with me in whites..."
- The name of the winner appears on the honors list, and he is presented in the court of heaven during the tribulation on earth.
REV 3:5 "Thus the winner shall be clothed in white garments and I will never blot out his title [the winner is knighted at the judgment seat of Christ] out of the book of life. In fact, I will acknowledge his title in the presence of My Father and before his angels [a formal presentation]."
- A new order of knighthood and eternal order of chivalry will be added to the believer's name in the Lamb's book of life forever.
The new knighthood is given to the winner, REV 2:17, "to the winner, I will give him blessing from the hidden manna [escrow blessing for time and eternity]; also I will give him a white pebble [the resurrection body, God's final vote of justification].
They voted with colored pebbles in the ancient world] and on that white pebble has been inscribed a new title [your royal title in the eternal heraldry] which no one knows [you are an anonymous hero during the Church-age]."
- The impact of the winner is anonymous as far as the record of history is concerned, but not as far as God is concerned.
Each pillar in the heavenly temple will have the record of his life as being a winner.
REV 3:12 "to the winner, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God. Furthermore, he will never again vanish [go outside] from history. Also, I will emblazon on him the title of my God, and the name of the city of My God.
This will be his pass to enter the eternal city, the New Jerusalem, a satellite city suspended above the earth in the atmosphere or in space.
The New Jerusalem will descend from heaven from my God; also my God will give me a new title [like His as the King of kings and Lord of lords, the bright morning star]."
- The temple of God is the eternal record center in the future and will be the historical textbook of the true heroes of history.
- The winner has special privileges related to the tree of life, the gazebo of the garden, called the paradise of God.
You are a member of a special club with special parties to which only you are invited; you're a member of the paradise club forever.
REV 2:7 "to the winner, I will give to him the privilege of eating from the tree of life which is in the paradise of God."
REV 22:14 “Blessed are they [winners] who have washed their robes [rebound], that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city [New Jerusalem]."
Being a winner in time is marvelous but being a winner in eternity is above all that we could ever ask or think; 1CO 2:9.
- When PSD #9, the perfect happiness of God (+H) is metabolized then it will change your life now and give you advantages you never dreamed of in eternity.
It is only when gnosis is transformed into epignosis that the believer can receive the momentum to keep going on to PSD #10, occupation with Christ.
- The will of God for mankind is two-fold:
For the unbeliever: Salvation.
For the believer: Metabolize doctrine.
1TI 2:3-4, This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- The pastor-teacher through teaching is the source of metabolized doctrine, TIT 1:1.
TIT 1:1 Paul, a bond-servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,
- The cosmic believer fails to metabolize doctrine, 2TI 3:2-7.
The reason is simply because the power of the Holy Spirit does not function in the cosmic system.
- Only metabolized doctrine can be useful for problem solving, EPH 1:17.
The "spirit of wisdom" refers to the application of metabolized doctrine under the enabling power of the Spirit.
This is God the Holy Spirit taking epignosis doctrine and giving you the ability to handle your problems.
Whether in adversity or prosperity, you must solve your problems from the base of inner happiness from epignosis doctrine.
- Only metabolized doctrine can fulfill the mandate of virtue first in the PPOG; PHI 1:9.
PHI 1:9 "I pray that your [virtue] love may abound more and more through epignosis doctrine and all discernment."
- Only metabolized doctrine can fulfill the PPOG; COL 1:9-10.
- Only metabolized doctrine can provide blessing under the PPOG; 2PE 1:2-4.
- You can have a zeal to know God but if you do not have metabolized doctrine, it is useless; ROM 10:2.
ROM 10:2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge.
- True wealth and prosperity come from epignosis doctrine, COL 2:2.
1O. The new man can only be renewed and energized through metabolized doctrine. EPH 4:22-24.
EPH 4:22 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,
EPH 4:23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind or the breathing of your soul.
EPH 4:24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
This literally says that we have been created in the likeness of God by means of perfect righteousness (+R) and devotion to the truth.
The word for holiness is hosiotes which means to be dedicated or devoted to something or someone.