Before we get into our main message this morning let’s DOCTRINE OF THE SEVEN SALVATION MINISTRIES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- The 1st Ministry of the Holy Spirit at Salvation is “Efficacious Grace” which is the enabling power of the Holy Spirit to the believer in Christ, or the work of the Holy Spirit which enables the believer to have an effective faith in Christ as Savior.
- He makes the Gospel clear to us. This is common grace.
- He makes our faith in Christ effectual, giving our faith life, as it were. This is efficacious grace.
JOH 10:27-28, (27) My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; (28) and “I give unto you eternal life, and you shall never perish, neither shall anyone pluck you out of My hand.”
The ministry of the Holy Spirit in common grace may be regarded as the inhale of the Gospel.
The ministry of the Holy Spirit in efficacious grace may be regarded as the exhale of faith in Jesus Christ.
When the spiritually dead person believes in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit takes that faith and makes it effective for salvation.
- Inability to understand what is heard in the Gospel.
- Ineffectuality of faith in Christ.
Faith is a non-meritorious system of perception based on confident trust in the authority and veracity of God, Jehovah Elohim, the Lord God!
- He listens to the Gospel; the Holy Spirit makes the Gospel message understandable.
- He believes in Jesus Christ; the Holy Spirit makes his faith effective.
- The 2nd ministry of the Holy Spirit at salvation is called “Regeneration”. It is taught in Tit 3:5; 1Pe 1:23.
Joh 3:6-7, says “That which is born of flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I say to you: you must be born again.”
We are born physically as dichotomous, having a body and soul, but no human spirit.
At the moment we believe in Christ, God the Holy Spirit creates a human spirit, making us trichotomous.
The moment God the Holy Spirit creates a human spirit, God the Father imputes eternal life to that human spirit.
The human soul is where human physical life resides, imputed at our physical birth. The human spirit is where eternal life resides, imputed at our spiritual birth.
The believer will live forever in heaven; the unbeliever will live forever in the Lake of Fire. JOH 3:36, “For he that believes on the Son has everlasting life. But he that does not believe on the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Regeneration means the creation of a human spirit for the imputation of eternal life.
The soul is the residence of human life; the human spirit is the residence of eternal life.
- The 3rd Ministry of the Holy Spirit at salvation is the “Baptism of the Spirit” which was prophesied in ACT 1:5. It is mentioned in principle and mechanics in 1CO 12:13; GAL 3:26-28; EPH 4:5.
- We share His eternal life (1JO 5:11-2), giving us a double portion of eternal life.
- We share His righteousness, giving us a double portion.
- We share Christ’s destiny under predestination.
- We share Christ’s election.
- Jesus Christ, seated at the right hand of the Father, has a third royal title. We share in His royalty as His royal family.
- We become a new spiritual species.
- The 4th Ministry of the Holy Spirit at salvation is the “Indwelling of the Holy Spirit”.
The purpose of the indwelling of the Spirit is to provide a temple for the indwelling of Jesus Christ as the Shekinah Glory.
We all have the old sin nature resident in the cell structure of our bodies, with a predilection to sin in certain areas.
Just as Christ indwelt the Holy of Holies in the temple in Jerusalem as a guarantee of blessing to Israel, so He indwells us as a guarantee of our escrow blessings.
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit relates to the body of the believer, while the filling of the Holy Spirit relates to the soul of the believer.
The indwelling of Jesus Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit have nothing to do with your spiritual life “experientially”.
The indwelling of the Spirit and the filling of the Spirit are not related; they are separate ministries.
- The 5th ministry of the Holy Spirit at salvation is the “Filling of the Holy Spirit” which is taught in EPH 5:18; GAL 5:16.
The believer in the PPOG is filled with the Spirit, which is the same as being under the enabling power of the Spirit, and this continues as long as he does not sin.
In cosmic one, we grieve the Spirit.
In cosmic two, we quench the Spirit.
To recover the filling of the Spirit after sinning, we must use problem solving device #1, the rebound technique, found in 1JO 1:9.
- The 6th Ministry of the Holy Spirit at salvation is the “Sealing Ministry of the Holy Spirit” which is found in EPH 1:13-14, 4:30.
The sealing ministry of the Spirit is a signature guarantee of:
- The Holy Spirit’s ministry in efficacious grace.
- Eternal life.
- Eternal security in time.
- Your portfolio of invisible assets.
Both the indwelling of Christ and the sealing of the Holy Spirit guarantee our escrow blessings.
- The 7th Ministry of the Holy Spirit at Salvation is the “Sovereign Distribution of Spiritual Gifts to each Believer”.
- God the Father was involved in the distribution of spiritual gifts as a witness to the strategic victory of Jesus Christ after His ascension.
- God the Son was involved in the initial distribution of spiritual gifts to the first generation of the body of Christ or royal family.
This was a part of the distribution of blessings as a result of the triumph of our Lord Jesus Christ which terminated the dispensation of the Hypostatic Union, in His resurrection, ascension, and session. EPH 4:7-8.
- After the first generation of the royal family, God the Holy Spirit is involved in all subsequent distribution of spiritual gifts, 1CO 12:12.
The distribution of spiritual gifts at the moment of salvation is the manifestation of team action in the body of Christ.
The Two Post-Salvation Ministries of the Holy Spirit.
- The enabling power of the Spirit inside the PPOG is called the filling of the Spirit in EPH 5:18, and walking by means of the Spirit in GAL 5:16.
- The teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit can only occur inside of the PPOG with the perception, metabolization, and application of Bible doctrine resulting in motivation and momentum.
We can never be a winner as a Christian soldier unless we understand the Ten Problem-Solving Devices available to the Church-age believer.
PSD #1 Rebound. Rebound is the simple confession of known sins to God, 1JO 1:9, JOH 13:10, PSA 32:5. It is a grace function, requiring no overt works by the believer such as penitence which is feeling sorrow or sorry for your sins.
- Without rebound as a problem-solving device, it would be impossible to utilize your portfolio of invisible assets.
- Without rebound the Holy Spirit cannot teach the human spirit when a believer is out of fellowship with God.
- Without rebound as the first problem-solving device, it would be impossible to learn and use the other problem-solving devices.
- Without rebound as the first problem-solving device, it would be impossible to execute the predesigned plan of God.
- Without rebound as the first PSD, it would be impossible to become an invisible hero and, therefore, a member of the pivot, which glorifies God.
- Without rebound as a problem-solving device it would be impossible to be filled with the Spirit, yet the Christian way of a life is a supernatural way of life and demands a supernatural means of execution.
- Without rebound as a problem-solving device, the believer will end up being at least nine things:
(1) An enemy of the Cross (PHI 3:18)
(2) An enemy of God (JAM 4:4)
(3) Haters of God (JOH 15:23)
(4) Double-minded (JAM 4:8)
(5) Anti (against)-Christ (1Jo 2:22,28; 4:3; 2Jo 1:7)
(6) Carnal (1CO 3:3)
(7) A disciple of the devil (1JO 3:8,10)
(8) One who grieves the Holy Spirit (EPH 4:30)
(9) One who quenches the Holy Spirit (1TH 5:19).
1Jo 1:9 says “If we acknowledge [name, cite, , confess] our sins [known sins], He is faithful and righteous with the result that He forgives our sins and cleanses us from all unrighteousness [sins of ignorance].”
Homologeo (acknowledge) originally meant to cite a courtroom case that proves one’s acceptance of that which they are confessing.
A believer acknowledges, names, or cites a case that went to court already – the court being the cross where the judgment of our sins were paid for by our Lord Jesus Christ.
Naming your sins to God is a non-meritorious action because your faith should be in the work.
Personally acknowledge your sins to God in the privacy of your own priesthood.
HEB 11:25 choosing rather to endure ill‑treatment with the people of God, than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin;
When controlled by the old sin nature, we may try to improve ourselves, make vows, or try to make it up to God.
The legalist wants you to feel sorry for your sin and to make rash promises to never do it again (often a promise that you will break).
The legalist wants you to hurt because the legalistic Christian is basically full of malice.
He is disgusted with you and he is shocked by your sin and therefore, he wants you to pay for your sins and even burn.
This is the attitude of the moral degeneracy of Cosmic 2 (self-righteous judgmental legalistic) believers.
Legalism rejects God’s grace policy, a policy whereby God did all the work at salvation.
The work is accomplished by the OP of God the Father related to our invisible assets, by the OP of God the Son giving us one day at a time, and by the OP of God the H.S. to execute God’s plan.
The post-salvation sins of the believer must be dealt with in grace through a non-meritorious act which we call rebound.
COL 2:6 As you have received the Lord Jesus (by grace through faith) so walk in Him (by grace through faith – especially when it comes to rebound).
Prin: The most basic problem-solving device for believers is rebound whereby we simply admit or cite or name or acknowledge our sins to God in the privacy of our priesthood.
Second prin: Just as there is nothing we can add to faith in Christ for salvation, so there is nothing we can add to the acknowledgement of our sins for rebound and recovery of our fellowship with the Holy Spirit.
Third prin: Both believing in Christ for salvation and simply acknowledging our sins for forgiveness are non‑meritorious acts.
(1) Acknowledge or confess known sin (1JO 1:9).
(2) Isolate the sin in HEB 12:15 “See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God, that no root of bitterness sprouting up cause trouble, and through this [bitterness] life] many are defiled or contaminated.
(3) Forget the sin = Phi 3:13, “Brethren, I do not evaluate myself to have attained, but I do concentrate on one thing: forgetting those sins which are behind, and pressing toward those things which are ahead [execution of the PPOG].”
(4) Keep moving forward spiritually = Phi 3:14, “I keep advancing toward the objective for the prize of that upward call from God in Christ Jesus.”
The conclusion from this verse is that, if you are still alive after you name your sins, God intends for you to advance spiritually from that moment on!
The results of rebound are as follows:
(a) You are restored to fellowship with God.
(b) You have recovered the filling of the Spirit.
(c) You have reentered the PPOG.
(1) “If we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged” (1CO 11:31).
(2) Rom 6:13 and 12:1 teach the concept “to yield or to present yourselves ” — which refers to the rebound technique as the means of reentry into the PPOG,
(3) “Lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily entangles us” (HEB 12:1).
(8) Laying aside the old man – Eph 4:22 “lay aside the old man which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit.
PSD # 2 is The Filling of the H.S. which is the first time in history when all believers are indwelled by the Holy Spirit and are commanded to be filled with the Spirit.
In the dispensation of the Hypostatic Union (Jesus Christ present on the Earth), the Lord Jesus Christ did offer the filling of the Spirit to His disciples but none of them accepted that offer.
LUK 11:13, “If you then, being good, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask for Him?”
It would not be the Baptism of the Spirit like the Church-age ministry about to happen but it would be like the ministry of the Holy Spirit to the Old Testament saints = endowment not enablement.
“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. “And do not judge and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned; Luk 6:37-39.
Importunity means to intrude over and over again, especially to the point of persistence and annoyance.
This is the teaching of not taken “No” for an answer from God concerning your prayer.
We do not ask for the Holy Spirit today; He is given to each believer at the moment of salvation in the Church-age.
There is no human attribute, no system of human success, no talent, no system of works, no system of any kind apart from God whereby we have the ability to execute God’s plan for our lives.
You have to be filled with the Spirit before anything you do for God is counted as gold, silver, and precious stones (1CO 3:12)!
All Christian production is a result of spirituality
on the one hand and spiritual growth on the other hand.
Spirituality is the work of God the Holy Spirit when He controls your life, that is, when you are inside the PPOG.
The PPOG is an idiom and abbreviation that I have developed for a plan that God the Father created for the Church-age believer before the foundation of the world.
There are two approaches to the conceptualization of the filling of the Spirit: the issue of who controls your soul and the issue of whether your soul resides in the PPOG or in the cosmic system.
(1) At salvation, God the Holy Spirit indwells the body of every believer in order to create a temple, a place of residence, for the indwelling of Christ as the Shekinah Glory.
(2) So the believer’s body is indwelt by God the Holy Spirit, but it is also indwelt by the old sin nature; Gal 5:16-17.
The gate to the soul is volition, and your volition or free will decides who controls your soul.
The old sin nature is the source of temptation; the Holy Spirit is the source of the spiritual life through the enabling power of the Spirit.
This is a conclusion that we come to by interpreting passages under the hermeneutical principle of I.C.E.
The “I” stands for Isagogics which tells us that the command to “be filled with the Spirit” is given only one time in all of human history and that is in the dispensation of the Church-age.
JAM 1:1 James, a bond‑servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad, greetings
EPH 3:5 which [mystery doctrine] in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit;
ROM 16:25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past,
ROM 16:26 but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith; or of obedience to pistis or doctrine.
Isagogics – there is no command to be filled with the Spirit ever given by means of prophecy throughout the Word of God including the dispensation of the Tribulation period or the dispensation of the Millennium.
Next there is the “C” under the principle of I.C.E. which refers to categories of doctrine where it compares scriptures with scriptures.
All nine manifestations of rebound are said to lead us to a place of positive results which have to do with being filled with the Spirit and having fellowship with God.
Grieving the Holy Spirit comes from living in sin, not sinning, but living in sin as Eph 4:30 says.
Quenching the Holy Spirit means to reject the power of God and to lean on your own understanding with human power.
PRO 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding.
PRO 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Finally under the I.C.E. principle there is the “E” or the exegesis and we must look at the Greek word for being filled which is the word pleroo.
- To fill up a deficiency. At salvation we are deficient of doctrine and therefore we need doctrine to be filled with Spirit.
- To fully possess. The believer must be fully possessed by the Holy Spirit and Bible doctrine before he can be fully possessed by the blessings of maturity.
- To fully influence. The believer is fully influenced by Bible doctrine so that he can have capacity for blessing and therefore he is “filled with the Spirit.”
- To fill with a certain quality. Doctrine is the highest quality with which the believer can be filled.
The “E” in I.C.E. tells us how we can be filled with the Spirit which is to have PVTD.
It is used for the pastor communicating doctrine to his sheep. Col 1:25, “that I might fill up the deficiency of the Word of God.”
Eph 3:19 the word is used for the mature believer receiving the imputation of his escrow blessings.
Eph 3:19, “I pray that you might be filled up with all the fullness [divine blessing] from God.”
It is also used for the construction of the edification complex of the soul.
The human spirit builds a building right up into the right lobe of the soul.
In LUK 2:40, the humanity of Christ had an edification complex of the soul, “becoming full of wisdom.”
LUK 2:40 And the Child continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.
Col 1:9b, the apostle Paul writes “that you might be filled up with the epignosis knowledge of His sovereign purpose by means of all wisdom and spiritual understanding.”
It is used for perception of doctrine resulting in capacity for happiness in maturity, 1Jo 1:4, “that your happiness might be fulfilled.”
It is used for the priestly function of giving, PHI 4:18.
PHI 4:18 But I have received everything in full [pleroo], and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well‑pleasing to God.
PHI 1:11 having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
REV 3:2 ‘Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed [pleroo] in the sight of My God.
All these verses teach what it means to be filled with the Spirit which all have to deal with the PMA of Bible doctrine.
The filling of the Spirit allows you the option of using the omnipotence of the Holy Spirit to enable you to execute the predesigned plan of God.
You are either 100% spiritual or 0% spiritual (and 100% carnal).
You are either filled with the Spirit or you are grieving or quenching the Holy Spirit.
This grace process of PMA of doctrine eliminates human I.Q. as an issue in the perception and metabolization of doctrine.
You can be a genius in human I.Q. and understand no doctrine and have no spiritual growth.
You can be just a few points above a moron and grow spiritually to maturity.
Spiritual I.Q. has no limitations thanks to the ministry of God the Holy Spirit.
For while the Old Testament believers had the faith‑rest drill available for their use, they did not have the filling of the Spirit.
Yet we have the faith‑rest drill with the filling of the Spirit, which gives it a fantastic dynamic and power.
The filling of the Spirit, which is tantamount to life inside the PPOG and the means by which all problem-solving devices are learned and utilized.