Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Sunday, March 25, 2018
Dispensation of the Mosaic Law, The Fifth Commandment — Respect for Authority = applies to the four divine institutions: (1) Volition; (2) Marriage; (3) Family; and (4) Nationalism which produces patriotism.
The left side of politics is doing everything it possibly can to discredit and impeach our president.
The fourth estate, the media, etc., is also doing what it can to try and destroy the freedom that we have without them even realizing that they are on shallow ground.
Even in the Law it is said in EXO 22:28 “You shall not curse God, nor curse a ruler of your people.”
In fact, they are closely related to our subject with which many people are familiar with but about which they know very little about— the Ten Commandments, or the Decalogue (Exo 20:1-20).
The first commandment (1) EXO 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
(2) The second commandment deals with Idolatry when it says in EXO 20:4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
(3) The Third Commandment is found in EXO 20:7 which forbids taking the Name of the Lord Thy God in vain or in vanity; “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.
(4) In EXO 20:8, we just completed our study on the sabbath “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
(5) Our next commandment deals with marriage, the parents, and honoring the authority of the man and the woman, EXO 20:12; “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
(6) EXO 20:13 “You shall not murder. (7) EXO 20:14 “You shall not commit adultery. (8) EXO 20:15 “You shall not steal.
(9) In EXO 20:16, there is the principle of lying and attacking the legitimate authority by bearing false witness and lying about others; “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
(10) EXO 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
One of the first lessons that a spiritual leader must do is to help the people overcome their fears especially when under pressure.
EXO 20:20 And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; [WHY?] for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear OR THE RESPECT of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin OR continue to live in the sin of rebellion.”
However, each of the Ten Commandments is backed up by a series of divine laws which were given for the protection and happiness of both believers in Jesus Christ and of unbelievers to ensure their freedom.
Even though the Mosaic Law is not our modus operandi today, the commandments have always applied to the human race in general.
The first five commandments declare the principle of spirituality, or the possibility of establishing a relationship with God; the last five apply to man’s relationship toward his fellow man.
- You shall have no other gods before Me. 2. You shall make no idols. 3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. 4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. Honor your father and your mother.
The last five apply to man’s relationship toward his fellow man. 1. You shall not murder. 2. You shall not commit adultery. 3. You shall not steal. 4. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. You shall not covet.
When a nation operates under these divine norms and standards, the result is individual freedom and happiness and national stability and prosperity.
On the other hand: PRO 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, But happy is he who keeps the law.
And so this leads us to the importance of legitimate authorities in life; EXO 20:12.
The Hebrew verb in EXO 20:12 is kabad which refers to honor and respect.
This is not a commandment to love your parents or even to respect their person, but it is a commandment TO RESPECT THEIR AUTHORITY.
Now, the primary responsibility of parents is not to win the love and affection of their children, but to instruct and teach them — not sparing the rod — thereby to establish parental authority.
Respectfulness in the home must be learned early in life, first, in the family, so that later it will be applied to the teacher, the athletic coach, the law officer, the drill instructor, etc.
The fifth commandment forms the basis for the whole Biblical principle that no one can have freedom and happiness in life without learning respect for authority.
And here is an important principle: Only those who themselves learned respect for authority are really ever qualified to exercise authority.
The principle of authority exists in every facet of life and is designed for the protection of individual and national freedom.
When there is general loss of respect for authority on a national scale, disintegration and destruction of that national entity will surely follow!
This is why it is a tragedy to launch a person into adult life without a concept of respect for authority.
This is why PRO 22:6 says Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is mature he will not depart from it.
One of the most basic of the destructive influences existing in our country is the concept of permissiveness in rearing children; furthermore, there are many efforts to encourage young people to reject the authority of their parents.
The “liberal media ” in this country is a sign of national suicide.
The enemies of our nation are hard at work seeking to destroy all aspects of authority, for they know that a generation that does not recognize authority can never resist socialistic conquest, and, in fact, the present generation seems willing to bring it about.
And so this brings out the importance of Divine Institution #2, marriage, #3, the Family, which is the basic authority-teaching institution in a national entity.
Now, with this in mind we need to note the importance of the change in a person’s life that comes from honoring the legitimate authorities in life.
You see marriage for the Christian is the most difficult, the most challenging and the place of more failures in the Christian life than anything else.
Marriage of course is a divine institution for believers and unbelievers alike.
And even though it is so designed by God, it is the believer who so often fails in marriage and in relationships with the opposite sex.
Now, marriage puts two people, a man and a woman, in confined quarters.
When marriage usually begins it begins with the total attraction between two persons…….but as it progresses, it retrogresses.
And it retrogresses simply because the attractiveness which was the first attraction begins to disappear as people get older.
And what was hidden by attractiveness and the desire for unfulfilled fantasies it soon appears…and that is the real person.
And the real person is the greatest challenge on a day by day basis for living in the PPOG or growing in grace.
And so when the Lord created the woman He desired that marriage should be the beginning of love not the end of love.
There has to be an understanding of principles of Bible doctrine and respect for the authority within the marriage and the family.
Verse 32 talks about the mystery, it is referring to the mystery that goes back to the Garden of Eden and the principle of what the first Adam lost in the Garden at the fall and what the last Adam, TLJC, restored and how it relates to the angelic conflict.
All it takes is one person in a marriage to become a degenerate in that marriage has an excellent chance of self-destruction.
The woman respects the man. The man respects the woman, and the family is taught legitimate principles of authority.
A genuine marriage starts with some sort of love and as time goes on and the two involved become less attractive physically, the relationship even becomes greater.
Any relationship in life, to be successful, must be founded upon principle.
The interesting thing about most relationships is that there is time off. But there is usually “no time off” from marriage.
Now, two people who are mismatched in marriage, without the principle of Bible doctrine or without the establishment principles for the unbeliever, will not make in marriage.
And you surrender a certain amount of privacy in marriage and as you do so it is inevitable that you get to know the one that you’re married to.
In reality the ultimate in happiness is fulfilling the PPOG.
Once people get their eyes on people it is very difficult to remain in objectivity in the PPOG.
If you are a woman with money never marry a man who doesn’t have money unless you have seen your lawyer and he has written up for you a contract where your money always stays with you.
(1) People are no better in marriage than they are as people.
And therefore you do not see the flaws that are obvious to everyone else, including your parents and others.
(2) People are never the same after marriage.
“Marriage definitely changes people.”
(3) People who are losers in life will be losers in marriage.
(4) People who are winners in life are going to be winners in marriage.
1} When you are born physically 2} When you are born again 3} When you enter in marriage.
(5) A man that marries a clinging vine or a leech is going to discover that he has a millstone around his neck.
(6) A woman has to overlook more in a man than a man has to overlook in the woman.