Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Wednesday,August 10, 2016
Our Lord promised to Abraham and Isaac, he also promised to Jacob under the guidance and direction of the Holy Spirit according to HEB 11:20.
1. Isaac was born about 2061 B.C., Abraham was about 100 and Sarah was about 90.
2. Around 2021 B.C. when he was about 40 years old, father Abraham decided to help him out and so he sent one of his trusted servants to go and pick up a wife for him, Gen 24.
3. The servant found a magnificent beautiful woman named Rebekah, her name in the Hebrew is Rivqah which means to chain or shackle by beauty.
4. At forty years old he finally marries according to GEN 25:20, Isaac was in reversionism at this time living in the Negev and he was very lonely because mom had died.
5. After 20 years of being married, which is a good time to have children if you’re going to have any, about 2001 B.C., Rebecca had some children. – She gave birth to twins, Esau and Jacob.
6. In Gen 26, Isaac repeated the reversionistic trend of his father Abraham, he lied about his wife Rebecca who was very beautiful and he claimed that Rebecca was his sister.
TLJC came through rescued Rebekah and in a startling procedure, he even blessed Isaac illustrating His grace and His faithfulness to the Abrahamic covenant.
2TI 2:13 If we are faithless, He remains faithful; for He cannot deny Himself.
7. At age 100, Isaac was in great sorrow because of the failures of Esau who had married two Hittite women and had not believed in Jehovah Elohim, TLJC.
ROM 9:13 Just as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
8. Isaac finally reached spiritual maturity and supergrace and he was a strong supergrace believer when he was deceived by his wife Rebecca and by his younger twin son Jacob.
9. To this day the method of Rebekah and Jacob is largely adopted by religious people who believe that the ends justifies the means.
ROM 3:8 “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.
10. The destiny of all the attempts to try and play God or manage God’s affairs by deception or misrepresentation is brought out by the scheme of Rebekah and Jacob.
11. God had promised that the birthright would be Jacob’s and God would have given it to him at the proper time, but their timing did not line up with God’s timing.
12. The sin of Rebekah and Jacob was the sin of blaming God for forgetting His promise or accusing Him of being unable to perform it.
13. While each member of Isaac’s family tried their own plans, Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob and Esau, the result was that God’s purpose was still accomplished.
One of the most obvious is the fact that Jacob was a con-artist and he was conning his father out of the birthright and the double portion blessing but God still chose Jacob.
Upon the discovery of the deception, Isaac took a doctrinal stand and for the first time in his life on record in the Scripture, he did not do what a wimp would do.
All of his life even though Esau was his favorite, he noted that it was Jacob who was the believer and that Esau was still an unbeliever and he couldn’t help but observe the differences.
He knew the doctrine of the “elder should serve the younger” but he also knew the sovereignty of God.
He not only took a doctrinal stand but his favorite son Esau kept coming to him and crying and crying and crying, and the father never never changed, the wimp was gone and a real man took his place.
He loved his wife and he was deceived by her and that’s enough to make any man bitter, but he wasn’t bitter!
HEB 11:20 By means of doctrine resident in the soul Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau,
Prin-Doctrine resident in the soul took precedence over his great love for Esau his favorite son.
1Co 11:19 For there must also be heresies among you, in order that those who are approved may have become evident among you.
“approved” is the noun dokimoi which means to be tested and approved, to pass with integrity.
Prin-A man can take his lumps in life it’s that simple when he has doctrine resident in the soul.
“blessed” is the aor-act-ind of eulogeo which is eulogesen which means to bless for success, power and prosperity.
While Esau was the eldest twin and should have received his father’s blessing and inheritance, it was Jacob the younger twin who became the heir through deception.
1. Even though Isaac loved Esau who was his favorite, he would never reverse the decision though Esau worked on him for years, Heb 12:16-17.
2. This therefore was an act of supergrace nobility based on resident doctrine in the soul and is comparable to the test of Abraham in Gen 22, although not as great as Abraham’s test.
3. There was a second principle by which Isaac held to his decision and that’s found in Rom 9:6-14, in which we have an extensive treatise on the fact that Esau was an unbeliever.
4. Love and hate are anthropopathisms expressing God’s approval of the regenerate and disapproval of the unbeliever.
5. Even though the unbeliever, Esau, is genetically related to Abraham, he is not spiritually related to Abraham through regeneration, and so was rejected from the new racial species.
Regeneration or being born again is necessary for the fulfillment of the Abrahamic covenant.
6. As much as he loved Esau, Isaac knew from divine viewpoint that the unbeliever Esau, his eldest and favorite son, was excluded from the Abrahamic covenant.
A real man always sees the true issue and never allows his pride to interfere.