Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
The Doctrine of Emotion. Part 10.
Friday, November 16, 2007
Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
November 16, 2007
Point 3. Emotions are tested by God.
Point 6. The Emotional Revolt of the Soul.
1. The believer is in a position to live in the Spirit and walk in the Spirit only as “the flesh” is crucified and his emotions are under control.
2. Emotions have no capacity for thought, reason, or discernment.
Therefore, the soul becomes blind, unreasonable, unrestrained, arrogant, immoral, legalistic, antinomian, and anti-doctrine.
3. Emotional revolt of the soul means loss of a personal sense of destiny, failure to execute the PPOG, failure to understand and utilize the problem-solving devices.
4. The emotional revolt, backed by the old sin nature, causes emotion to become the aggressor instead of the responder.
5. Instead of responding to doctrine in the right lobe, the emotion responds to mental attitude sins, approbation and power lust, and human good.
6. Once emotion revolts against the heart and becomes the aggressor, it loses all capacity for life and comes under the influence and domination of the old sin nature.
7. Emotional revolt is the emotion fornicating with the old sin nature.
8. The old sin nature is a lover which turns emotion from a responder into an aggressor and reactor. This produces that chaos in the soul called psychosis.
PSA 7:9 “For the righteous God tests the right lobes and the emotions.”
PSA 26:2 “Test my emotions and my right lobe.”
The right lobe must control the emotional pattern for spiritual advance.
ROM 16:17-18 “Now I beseech you, brethren, make a reconnaissance; or observe them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and keep on avoiding them.”
“For they are such that serve not the Lord Jesus Christ, but their own bellies [in emotional revolt]. And by good words and fair speeches, they deceive the hearts of the stupid [getting you to go into emotional revolt also].”
The old sin nature inspires the emotion to revolt against the right lobe.
Believers who live by their emotions are believers whose emotional revolt has produced chaos of the soul.
Point 7. Emotion as a responder contributes to capacity for life.
GEN 43:30 And Joseph made haste, for his emotions did yearn upon his brother, and he sought where to weep, and he entered into his chamber and wept there.
1KI 3:26 Then spoke the woman whose child was the living child to the king, for her bowels [emotions] yearned upon her son.
PRO 23:16 “And my emotions will rejoice when your lips speak what is right.”
Point 8. Emotions can be destroyed, JOB 16:13;
PSA 73:21; LAM 3:13.
JOB 16:13 “His arrows surround me. Without mercy He splits my kidneys open; He pours out my gall on the ground.”
It is not until Jacob is left alone with the Lord that his named is changed to Israel, a prince with God.
2CH 32:31 - God left Hezekiah “alone to test him, that He might know all that was in his heart.”
JOH 8:9 - it was not until the woman caught in adultery was left alone with the Lord that she was set free.
JOH 16:32 “Behold, an hour is coming, and has already come, for you to be scattered, each to his own home, and to leave Me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.”
To be left alone with God is the only true way of arriving at an accurate knowledge of ourselves and our ways.
PSA 26:2 Examine me, O Lord, and try me; Test my mind and my heart.
JER 12:3 But Thou knowest me, O Lord; Thou seest me; And Thou dost examine my heart’s attitude toward Thee.
2CO 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves!