Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
The doctrine of laughter, part 2.
Tuesday, May 28, 2002
1. Laughter conveys joy or satisfaction, but also mockery and ridicule. JER 20:7 I have become a laughingstock all day long; Everyone mocks me.
2. There is also a silent laughter, the expression of amusement in the eyes.
3. The concept of laughing up ones sleeve - to laugh privately or secretly while appearing to be solemn or serious.
4. Laughter is also a reaction to someone or something expressing scorn, derision, sarcasm, ridicule.
5. Laughter is both the expression of the mature believer and the reversionist.
6. Laughter - an anthropopathism = God laughs.
Bible doctrine calls to you through the communicator of the word of God.
Laughter is the expression of humor from a mature believer, GEN 17:17.
The sense of humor indicates the capacity for life of the mature believer, and Abrahams laughter is faith breaking through the barriers of hopelessness.
Subjectivity, legalism, being uptight, being involved in the inordinate concept of competition remove any possibility of a sense of humor, even if one had originally been there.
There is also a laughter as an expression of an evil, arrogant, judgmental heart.
Laughter is also poor manners as in the case of Sarah, GEN 18:10-14.
Laughter is also associated with happiness. ECC 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, and a time to dance.
The mature believers attitude toward the reversionist is also expressed in laughter, PSA 52:5-7.
The mature believers attitude toward adversity is expressed in laughter, a relaxed laughter in the midst of great adversity, JOB 5:17-22.
JOB 5:19-27 - a dissertation on spiritual maturity and the fantastic blessings that come to the mature believer.
redeem - Qal perfect - paddah = to buy your life and to guarantee that you will survive economic depression.
This is not foolish laughing or the phony hysterical laugh of the facade of many believers; this is the R.M.A. of a believer who has a true sense of humor under pressure.
The mature believer is protected in time of economic adversity.
This is the laughter of relaxation, the laughter of appreciation of who and what God is, the laughter of happiness when there is adversity.
Laughter is also related to pseudo happiness, PRO 14:12-14.
Laughter also expresses ridicule. PSA 80:6 Thou dost make us an object of contention to our neighbors; And our enemies laugh among themselves.