Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Sunday, July 23, 2017
Doctrine of the Sins of the Tongue. Part 3.
Point 1 dealt with definition and classification and we noted that first of all, sin is a violation of the law or standards of God and these divine standards are revealed in the Word of God.
(1) The area of weakness. (2) The area of strength. (3) The trends of the sin nature: (4) The lust pattern of the OSN.
- First, emotional sins. For instance sins related to fear, which includes worry and anxiety. Sins related to hatred, which includes anger, violence, and murder. Sins related to self-pity and guilt.
- The second category of sins are mental attitude sins. These include arrogance, pride, jealousy, implacability, bitterness, vindictiveness, inordinate ambition and inordinate competition, all motivational sins, and sinful thoughts.
- The third category is our subject verbal sins which include gossip, maligning, slander, judging, lying, and verbal deception.
- And then the fourth category is overt sins They include chemical sins, sexual sins, criminal sins.
Now, all of this information leads us to Point 2. - The source of verbal sins.
All verbal sins originate from mental attitude sins, Which lead to motivational sins; Which lead to the sins of the tongue; Which are designed to destroy your life.
Point 3. Out of the seven worst sins from God's viewpoint, not man's but Gods' three are related to the tongue as verbal sins, Pro 6:16‑19.
A right lobe that devises evil plans [anti-authority sins, conspiracy, and revolution], feet which run rapidly to evil [a trouble-maker], a false witness who utters lies [perjury], and a person who spreads strife among the brethren [gossip, slander, maligning, judging]."
Point 4. The double standard related to the sins of the tongue. Psa 12:2 "They speak emptiness one to another with flattering lips; and with a double standard they speak."
Point 5. There are Blessings From Avoiding The Sins of The Tongue.
The SOT often arises from hatred within.
The SOT's can result from idleness.
We are told that those who are classified as wicked are addicted to the sins of the tongue; Psa 50:20.
Hypocrites are addicted to the SOT; Pro 11:9.
The SOT was the main characteristic of the devil; Rev 12:10.
They who indulge in the SOT are said to be fools, Pro 10:18.
Women are especially warned against the SOT, Titus 2:3; Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,
Our Lord Jesus Christ was exposed to the SOT constantly; Mat 26:60.
Rulers are exposed to the SOT, Jud 1:8.
Point 6. The believers attitude toward the Sins of the Tongue.
Believers should be warned against it; Tit 3:1-2.
Believers are told to return good for it; 1CO 4:13.
1CO 4:13 when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now.
Believers are blessed in enduring the SOT; MAT 5:11.
MAT 5:11 "Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me.
They should not be listened to; 1Sa 24:9 "And David said to Saul, Why do you listen to the words of men, saying, behold, David seeks to harm you'?"
Believers should be angry against the slanderer; Pro 25:23.
The reason is that slander separates friends; Pro 16:28; 17:9.
The believers reaction to verbal sins also should be that he realizes that the SOT produces deadly wounds; Pro 18:8; 26:22.
It causes divisions among brethren; Pro 6:19 "A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
The SOT can even produce murder: Psa 31:13 "For I have heard the slander of many, terror is on every side; while they took counsel together against me, they schemed to take away my life."