Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Friday, October 26, 2012
1JO 1:9 If we acknowledge our sins, He is faithful and righteous, with the result that He forgives us our sins and purifies us from all unrighteousness.
Achievement belongs to God; happiness belongs to the believer.
God will only give achievement when the believer advances to a point where his achievement is compatible with his capacity, so that his achievement will not make him miserable.
Christian service performed in the cosmic system glorifies self, while the same Christian service performed in the PPOG glorifies God.
So, for the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, humility is developed through consistent perception, metabolization and application of Bible doctrine.
a. Self-determination is related to right priorities.
b. Self-determination is related to teachability.
c. Self-determination is related to the function of your daily perception, metabolization and application of Bible doctrine.
The difference between being a vessel of honor and a vessel of dishonor in the spiritual realm is your response to spiritual authority.
Humility is the key to the vessel of honor being formed.
Arrogance is the key to the vessel of dishonor being formed.
The humble believer is teachable and honors God.
The arrogant believer rejects grace and becomes a loser. Therefore, it becomes necessary for a spiritual gift to have authority over believers for the communication of the Word of God.
Notice that respect is the issue and this only comes from impersonal love on the part of the members of the congregation.
Positive volition resides in the PPOG; negative volition rejects doctrine and becomes a cosmic Christian.
1. Humility is recognition and respect for legitimate authority in life.
2. Humility is divine viewpoint thinking, which means that humility is related to grace orientation and occupation with Christ.
3. Humility is poise and courage under pressure.
4. Humility is teachability which recognizes the factors in the PPOG.
5. Therefore, humility is the sum total of grace orientation and teachability.
6. Humility is capacity for life, love, and happiness. 7. Humility is the basis for gratitude and appreciation in life.
8. Humility is the function of establishing right priorities in life.
9. Humility is the right function of self-determination in life.
10. Humility is making right decisions from a position of strength.
11. Humility is the recognition of failure in the Christian life and the willingness to recover through rebound.
12. Humility is the basis for flexibility in life, the basis for God molding a vessel of honor which glorifies Himself.
13. Humility is related to promotion.
14. Humility is an expression of doctrine circulating in the soul; it is understanding your own helplessness and appreciating what God in His grace can do.
GAL 5:23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
We now conclude our ninth and last manifestation of the production of the Holy Spirit with the word “self-control” which is the nominative singular feminine noun egkrateia meaning self-discipline or self-control.
gkrateu/omai egkrateuomai (eng-krat-yoo’-om-ahee); middle voice from Strongs #1468; to exercise self-restraint (in diet and chastity): KJV – can ([-not]) contain, be temperate.
Now, egkrateia also means an “organized life”.
a. Having the right priorities which means a “time” for everything.
b. An organized life is also based upon Bible doctrine which will give you the capacity to organize your life and have inner happiness with the right priorities!
You have the same opportunity as anyone else to advance to spiritual maturity if you choose! Most people who whine and complain about their life have made a series of bad decisions and they are in “self-induced misery”.
The believer must have organization in his use of time and in his use of energy and have the right priorities in life.
He is teachable through humility.
This passage actually teaches that an individual who can triumph over himself is greater than an individual who captures an entire city in battle!
When an individual lacks self control he is totally defenseless from the attacks of the cosmic system!
JAM 3:2, For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a mature man, able to control the whole body as well.
PSA 39:1, I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle, while the wicked are in my presence.
a. You could not leave for any reason.
b. You were on a strict diet which everyone ate. (other foods being analogous to distractions of the cosmic system).
c. Everyone participated in group exercise naked outdoors, regardless of the weather (analogous to everyone getting the same doctrinal teaching).