Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Grace giving with impersonal love reveals your gratitude to God.
Thursday, November 18, 2004
Lacked opportunity - imperf-mid-ind - eekaireiathe - h*kaireiâ€™sqe = to lack an opportune time, or to lack opportunity to express something.
PHI 4:10 Now, I have received much inner happiness by means of the Lord greatly, that now at length you have revived your concern or thinking for me; indeed, you also were thinking about me, but you lacked the opportunity to express it.
An impulsive giver is a self-centered person calling attention to himself.
In the generous person, it is strictly the right lobe controlling the soul and it is pure generosity.
1. Giving is an expression of the Royal Family Honor Code, ROM 15:26-27.
They were happy to do this, but they also considered it their duty to so.
Charity is from God; socialism and welfare are from man.
2. Giving is an expression of mental attitude in every circumstance of life.
When someone gives of their time, talent, and treasure it is called manifestation of the grace of God.
Their tests and trials exposed their true colors: they were incredibly happy, though desperately poor.
The pressure triggered something totally unexpected: an outpouring of pure and generous gifts, caring for others more than themselves.
PHI 2:3 Do nothing motivated by contentiousness or ambitious pride, but with humility of mind [by means of grace orientation] let each of you keep on considering one another as more important than himself;
PHI 2:4-5, do not merely be regarding your own personal interests, but also for the personal interests of others. Keep on thinking this [doctrine] within yourselves which was also resident in Christ Jesus,
3. Giving is an expression of free will, without gimmicks, without coercion, 2CO 8:3.
4. Giving must express an attitude toward the Lord before it can express an attitude toward others.
5. Giving depends on the consistent perception, metabolization and application of Bible doctrine after salvation.
Their giving was associated with impersonal love, not with personal love.
6. Precedence for giving is derived from the dispensation of the hypostatic union and is predicated on grace.
1JO 3:16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
1JO 3:18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
7. Giving is a mental attitude related to an overt act.
8. Giving is related to motivation from metabolized doctrine in the right lobe of the soul.
9. God in His matchless grace provides both the spiritual motivation and monetary capital for grace giving.
10. God in His matchless grace provides both the monetary capital for grace giving and makes it part of your Christian service.
ACT 20:35 “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
11. Generosity of mental attitude results in generosity of giving.
2SA 6:11 - entire household
DEU 29:5 - divine character
1KI 3:13 - riches and honor
EXO 23:25 - health, no sickness
1KI 3:14 - length of days
DEU 7:15 - vengeance upon your enemies
ISA 41:10 - blessing of strength
12. Giving is a result of Christian service.
JOH 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.