Grace Bible Church
Basic Training in Doctrine
Pastor Joseph P. Sugrue
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Lack of spiritual growth breeds self-absorption, arrogance, and lack of sensitivity to others.
Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves.
They did not ask Him, this is not the word for asking. The word here is epotao (e)rwtaw) which means to interrogate.
“saying” – they kept on saying. They didn’t say it once; they said it enough times that this person could have fallen apart from self-pity.
Some held to the “this man” theory – he sinned so he was born blind (not logical), some to the “parent” theory – his parents sinned so he was born blind (a distortion of doctrine).
Both are wrong
The culpability theory is a distortion of scripture, a misinterpretation of Exodus 20:5. This view was held by Judaism. It says his parents did something terrible and he is paying for it.
Several points concerning the doctrine of culpability.
1. The principle of culpability is given in Exodus 20:4-6; Deuteronomy 5:8-10. The true law of culpability merely says that when the parents have weaknesses they often teach their children to be weak in the same way.
4. The true law of culpability is given in Deuteronomy 24:16 – God will bless your family down to the thousandth generation where Bible doctrine is perpetuated in the home.
“Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin.
3. The mechanics of the four-generation curse is given in the Hebrew of Proverbs 30:11-17.
It is wrong to assume that good health the sign of salvation or spirituality. Loss of health or illness does not give the right to judge others.
1. This is a reference to God the Father, author of the divine plan, who knew in eternity past that this man would be blind and that he would have +V.
2. God also knew the combination of genes which would produce congenital blindness.
3. This man and his blindness were designed to glorify God and reveal His grace.
4. The works of God represent His grace provision.
5. God is perfect; His plan is perfect – origin of grace.
6. Therefore in the framework of the perfect plan of God, God must work. This man is blind; no one can do anything about it. God must work, and does.
7. The man is hopeless, helpless, and useless but the grace of God will meet his need. In meeting his need God the Son is manifest for what He is – the light of the world.
“might be displayed” – aorist passive subjunctive. Aorist tense: point of time and the timing is perfect; passive voice: the grace of God receives manifestation; subjunctive mood: the potentiality of the manifestation depends upon the volition of those who observed this miracle.
The negative volition of the Pharisees who try to put Him down, and the positive volition of those who will believe in His name.
It is the purpose of God to work through grace, and only through grace, because grace reveals the perfection of His character.
“as long as it is day” refers to the period of the incarnation, which has approximately 6 months to go.
God’s grace is God’s light. This man was in darkness, but when his eyes are open he is going to see the Lord and believe.
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
The only reason that his faith will be efficacious is because Christ is going to go into utter darkness that no man has ever experienced.
Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour.
If you go around blaming your parents for any of the bad things in your life you are a weak, arrogant believer.
1 Cor 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it.
They have no sensitivity to his sensitivity. They are not aware of the fact that a blind beggar could have a soul and be as sensitive as anyone else.