Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Marriage in the attraction stage produces degeneracy in society.
Sunday, January 25, 2004
GEN 2:18 “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable or fit for him.”
PRO 12:4 a wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
The greatest time of historical disaster in the history of the human race is the last half of the Tribulation - the time of the devil’s desperation.
1. Attraction is the observation stage of the relationship between the man and woman.
2. This is the blind stage of the man-woman relationship because man and woman are attracted to each other on the basis of superficial norms and standards - such as physical appearance, public personality, success, profile, social status, or lust.
3. Attraction is also based on the ability of the opposite sex to implement and compliment existing areas of arrogance.
People are often attracted to those who patronize them.
4. Attraction is a dangerous stage because it is accompanied by tunnel vision, in which one often ignores, or sets aside the potential or observable flaws in the object of attraction.
In the attraction stage, love is not blind, it sees more not less; but because it sees more it chooses to see less.
2CO 6:12 You are not hindered by us, but you are hindered by your own emotions.
5. Attraction is dangerous because it is related to peer pressure, rejection of reality, immature standards and dependency rather than independent thinking.
Dependent thinking = you base the attraction on the opinion of others, rather than your own standards.
You are not attracted to him on the basis of his own innate abilities, but you are attracted to him on the basis of the fact that everyone else thinks he is great.
6. People who get married in this stage have very little success or very little chance of success in their relationship.
a. COL 3:18 Wives, be obedient to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
b. EPH 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her;
c. COL 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be bitter against them.
7. Most marriages which occur in the attraction stage end up in the divorce courts, or suicide, or grimly sticking it out. Marriage becomes the state of perpetuating misery.
When you have in a national entity a maximum number of people in any generation who marry in the attraction stage you are going to produce degeneracy in society.
Historical confusion becomes historical adversity.
Attraction is a means to an end, but attraction is never an end in itself.
1. Compatibility is that stage of man-woman relationship where friendship develops between two members of the opposite sex.
2. Attraction has no permanent results unless friendship develops into the compatibility stage.
As the attraction stage is the dangerous stage, the compatibility stage is the stage where wisdom begins, but hopefully does not end.
3. Love cannot be perpetuated between a man and a woman unless they are friends as well as lovers.
4. Compatibility is that stage classified as accurate knowledge of the object to which you are attracted.
5. Compatibility includes knowing the weaknesses of the one you love, as well as their strengths, or assets.
6. Compatibility is that stage of category two love, right man-right woman, where conflict and disagreement exist, but in no way jeopardize or injure the relationship.