Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
What it means to be initiated into the secret of the mystery. Part 65. The origin, estate, and character of the ruler of the world.
Sunday, June 19, 2005
In this one context, God records the origin, the estate, the character, and the sin of the greatest of angels.
The king of Tyre was one of the few individuals in human history who was possessed by Satan just like the serpent in the garden and Judas Iscariot who betrayed our Lord.
Tyre was a merchant city of the ancient world that represented the promotion of the world’s ideal of success.
Their bodies are not visible to the human race for the obvious reason of the danger of worshipping angels, COL 2:18.
You can be under the influence of the mastermind of Satan or the Master’s mind, TLJC.
If there’s anything that destroys genius, smartness, talent and beauty, anything that can be considered worthwhile, it is arrogance.
First, there is the thought of arrogance.
Then there is the decision of arrogance.
Then there is the action of arrogance.
The original sin among angelic creatures is like the original sin among human creatures - it occurred as a decision in perfect environment.
1. To be a genius mentally.
2. Physical beauty in some form.
3. Perfect or improved environment.
Degeneracy in any nation, in any society, is merely a manifestation of the fact that people are unhappy.
He was created an adult with perfect beauty, with the greatest genius of any creature God ever made and with perfect environment.
With self-consciousness, he had perfect beauty, perfect brains, in a perfect environment.
I think the majority of us would say that if we had perfect brains and perfect beauty in a perfect environment, we would be happy.....but we’re just kidding ourselves.
Satan had beauty and brains from the start of his life, and he also had authority being the anointed cherub or the Messiah’s angel, but he got tired of being second in charge.
Arrogance promotes ambition - or inordinate ambition.
“I can do a better job of the universe than God can!”
“Vote for me angels and I’ll give you a better universe!”
The lust for power always has its roots in arrogance.
Arrogance is a desire for recognition.
Even in the Garden of Eden, his name nahash, translated “serpent,” means “the shining one.”
2CO 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
a. In the high priest’s breastplate as a manifestation of divine grace.
b. In the New Jerusalem, which reflects the glory of God.
c. As the covering of this great angel, which signalizes the highest of all creation.
The workmanship of your settings and sockets = he did not need an instrument to praise and glorify God, he was given a built-in royal crown of praise to praise his Creator.
In the next verse we seem to pass from the royalty of Satan to his priestly dignity.
Anointed = the Messiah’s angel.
The cherubim were the group of angels related to the throne of God as protectors and defenders of His holiness.
Do not be surprised when you run into someone who is supposed to protect and defend the authority over them but instead attacks it and discredits it.
Their “father” in the sense that John the apostle said it, when he called Christians under the thinking of Satan, sons [teknons] of the devil, 1JO 3:10.
1TI 3:6 Make sure he is not a new convert, lest he become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil.
Trade - rekullah - “slander” = to go about in order to traffic something against someone, or to slander, or to try to destroy someone’s reputation by trafficking gossip and slander.
“Trade” = to slander; peddling things for the sake of personal gain.
“Trade” = indicates that going about among the angels which was necessary for Satan to do to secure their allegiance to his program of rebellion and conspiracy against God.
This will all take place before the Millennial reign of Christ and after it as well.
He wants us to see the devastating effects of arrogance and pride.
PRO 8:13 “Respect for the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way, And the perverted mouth, I hate.”
ISA 13:11 Thus I will punish the world for its evil, And the wicked for their iniquity; I will also put an end to the arrogance of the proud,
1. Through the degenerating power of sin, Satan, as did Adam, became an entirely different being from that which God created.
2. When God creates a being to fulfill a certain purpose, that being must be a perfect fulfillment of that divine pattern.
3. We need to identify the purpose for which Satan was created and evaluate the qualities which were his in view of that purpose.
4. By his sin, he lost his original holiness and heavenly position, but he retains his wisdom and his beauty and he has turned his surpassing abilities into ways of evil.
5. Satan’s office was originally to protect the Throne of God and to forbid the approach of evil or any unrighteousness.
6. The unrighteousness found in Satan was the sin of independence and self-exaltation.
7. Satan is said to have been upon the Holy Mountain of God as the Anointed Cherub that covereth and therefore appears to have been the great High Priest of his realm.
8. Satan also appears to have been the highest angel and therefore the King over his creation.
9. He was perfect in all his ways, and apparently continued so for a length of time.
GEN 1:26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
10. After the fall of Adam, when no other created being could be found to fulfill this function, the Lord Jesus Christ came forth from the Godhead to become a member of the human race and to fulfill all three functions, prophet, priest, and king.