Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
SundayMarch 15, 2015
The dispensation of the Church-age is a period of time when God has given to us supernatural power to execute a fantastic and marvelous spiritual life.
The filling of the Holy Spirit is vital to understand because it is the beginning of understanding the first “power” option in the Christian way of life.
The filling of the Spirit is an option, simply because you must make a decision to be filled with the Spirit
EPH 4:30,”Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God = pres-act-imp of the verb lupeo EPH 5:18b Be filled with the Spirit = pres-pass-imp of the verb pleroo GAL 5:16 Walk by the Spirit = pres-act-imp of the verb peripateo 1TH 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit = pres-act-imp of the verb sbennumi.
Quench = allow the OSN to control the soul, either by allowing stress in the soul to produce sin, by allowing false doctrine to enter the soul, or by using defensive mechanisms instead of the PSD provided in the Word of God.
EPH 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Salvation— (filling of HS) —Spiritual adulthood
1. Counterfeit Gospel, 2CO 4:3-4.
2. Counterfeit Ministers, 2CO 11:13-15.
3. Counterfeit Doctrine, 1TI 4:1.
4. Counterfeit Communion table, 1CO 10:19-21.
5. Counterfeit System of Spirituality, GAL 3:2-3.
6. Counterfeit System of Power and Dynamics, 2TH 2:8-10.7. Counterfeit System of gods, 2TH 2:3-4.8. Counterfeit Jesus, 2CO 11:3;9. Counterfeit Spirit, 2CO 11:3;10. Counterfeit believers; MAT 7:21-23.
The filling of the Holy Spirit is the control of God the Holy Spirit over the soul of the believer.
1. Walking in the Spirit, GAL 5:16.
2. Walking in the light, 1JO 1:7.
3. Imitating Christ, EPH 5:1.
4. Epistles of Christ ministered by the Spirit, 2CO 3:3.
5. Being partakers of the divine nature, 2PE 1:4.6. Being filled with the Spirit, EPH 5:18.
We receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the filling of the Holy Spirit simultaneously at the point of salvation.
GAL 5:16-17 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh [OSN] sets its desire against the Spirit [HS], and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
We never lose the indwelling of the Spirit, but we do lose the filling of the Spirit (the control of God the Holy Spirit over our soul).
It is for this reason that we are never commanded to be indwelt by the Spirit, but to “be filled with the Spirit,” EPH 5:18, or to be “walking in the Spirit,” GAL 5:16.
JOH 14:16, “I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper [God the Holy Spirit], that He may be with you forever.”
When we rebound (confess our sins to God the Father, 1JO 1:9), the Holy Spirit again controls the soul.
You may learn some principles of truth while you are out of fellowship, but you will have no real wisdom or BD learned and metabolized, epignosis); you will merely have gnosis, or a knowledge that puffs up, 1CO 8:1.
Because the body is the headquarters of the old sin nature, the Holy Spirit sets up His headquarters in the body for counteraction.
WHERE some of the prophecies are that God predicted in the Old Testament.
The unholy trinity concept comes from the book of Rev 12-13, which describes three evil beings who will deceive many in the end times = Satan, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet.
Satan is a mimic and an impersonator and one way he deceives people is by putting forward inferior copies of the real thing.
He will play the part of God the Father; the Antichrist will stand in for the Son and the False Prophet will take the role of the Holy Spirit, glorifying both Satan and the Antichrist.
1. As far as Satan is concerned, he always wanted to be “like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:14), and this false godhead is another attempt to fabricate godhood for himself.
The equality that the antichrist has with Satan is analogous to the equality that our Lord has with God the Father.
TLJC claims His equality with God when He says such things as JOH 5:17 “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”
JOH 5:23, in order that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
JOH 10:30 “I and the Father are one.”
The fall here refers to the second fall of Satan, and it is a reference to Satan being cast out of heaven = the Tribulation period.
a. The first fall of Satan took place in eternity past, perhaps billions of years before man existed, that’s EZE 28:15 “You were blameless in your ways From the day you were created, Until unrighteousness was found in you.”
EZE 28:12 “Satan had the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.”
EZE 28:13 “He was in Eden, the garden of God and every precious stone was his covering.”
EZE 28:14 “He was the anointed cherub who covers or the protector of God”
EZE 28:15 “He was blameless in all of his your ways, from the day he was created”
EZE 28:17 “His heart was lifted up or became elevated or arrogant because of his beauty; and he corrupted his wisdom by reason of his magnificence.
b. Satan has his second fall, he is cast out of heaven, REV 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
c. At the end of the Millennial reign of Jesus Christ and at the end of that time we have the third fall of Satan, REV 20:10.
REV 20:10, And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
I will ascend into heaven is a reference to the third heaven where God is, 2CO 12:2.
The word ascend means to rule or to have the sovereignty in heaven.
The third thing that he said in his heart was based upon power lust, ISA 14:13.
It means to rule planet earth as it existed before the creation of man and therefore Satan wanted to rule over the angels on the earth as well as those in heaven.
Jehovah appeared in cloud, EXO 16:10.Jehovah rides upon cloud PSA 104:3.The cloud filled the house, 1KI 8:10.Jehovah rides a swift cloud, PSA 104:3; ISA 19:1.
Satan wanted the glory which belonged to God alone.
He started a conspiracy against God.
He did this for one reason, self-promotion.
The second member of the unholy trinity is the Antichrist who is discussed in Rev 12 and 13, there he is pictured as the first of two beasts; the Antichrist is “the beast” that comes “out of the sea.” The name “Antichrist” is only used in 1Jo and 2Jo.
Empowered by Satan himself, the antichrist will also persecute the “saints” (the people who turn to Christ during the tribulation period) and “conquer” them (resulting in the deaths of many believers).
Not only will He rule the earth, but he will also demand that every person worship him.
1. The Antichrist is coming: 1JO 2:18 Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have arisen; from this we know that it is the last hour.
2. The Antichrist denies the Father and the Son: 1JO 2:22 Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.
3. The spirit of the Antichrist denies Jesus is from God: 1JO 4:3 Every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; and this is
the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.
4. The Antichrist denies Jesus came in a physical body: 2JO 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.
The third member of the unholy trinity is the second beast or the False Prophet and his ministry is described for us in REV 13:11-18:
This False Prophet will appear to be gentle (like a lamb) but will speak evil (like a dragon).
ACT 9:31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and, going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.
JOH 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
Because Satan is a counterfeiter the False Prophet will appear to be gentle (like a lamb) but will speak evil (like a dragon).
He will force people to worship the Antichrist by performing great signs as the fallen angels can compared to the human race.
The antichrist and the false prophet will require all people to obtain some sort of a mark on the right hand or forehead. Without this mark, people will be unable to buy or sell anything.
This unholy trinity—Satan, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet—is the opposite of the true Triune God consisting of the Father, Son, and Spirit.
At the end of their rule, Jesus will return in victory and ultimately establish a new heaven and new earth. All evil will be removed, and God will dwell with His people forever (LUK 1:32-33; ISA 60:21).
LUK 1:31-33, prophesied about our Lord when he was born coming in the future “And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and His kingdom will have no end. ”
ISA 60:21, “Then all your people will be righteous; They will possess the land forever, The branch of My planting, The work of My hands, That I may be glorified.
The Tribulation period starts with the Resurrection of the Church and it terminates with the Second Advent or the Second coming of TLJC.
We have the Rapture and the Second Advent and in-between, we have a short 7 year period called the Tribulation period.
There is coming a time called Daniel’s 70th week, Satan’s time of desperation, The day of wrath, The hour of trial, The Tribulation period.
The Tribulation was prophesied in the O.T. in many passages: JER 30:4-8; ZEC 14:1-9; DAN 9:26-27; Isa 34, Isa 63; DAN 11:40; Eze 38 and 39; ZEC 12:1-6
It is also the prophetic subject of revelation chapters 6 through 12.
We are entering a period of time about which the Bible says more about than any other period of time in human history, including the time when TLJC walked upon the face of this earth as the God-man and that period of time is what call the Tribulation Period.
It begins with Satan promoting a false peace on the earth and solving a lot of problems that will exist because the Church is no longer on the earth.
He will make a false treaty with Israel and begin to bring in all forms of prosperity to solve the chaos and fears that have taken place because of the Rapture or the resurrection of the Church.
As the prophet Jeremiah says in JER 6:14, Satan through his false prophets and teachers will say, ” ‘Peace, peace,’ when there is no peace.”
Think of these prophecies concerning the coming of the CA as prophecies that although some have not been fulfilled as of yet will be fulfilled because of God’s track record of divine fulfillment of the previous prophecies that have already come to pass.
1. Prophecy of the brazen serpent being lifted up, NUM 21:9 fulfilled in Joh 3;14-16.
2. The prophecies of certain events which would take place around the Cross as in PSA 22:6-8, where people would Him and ridicule Him, totally fulfilled in Luke 23:35.
3. Prophecy of His hands and feet being pierced in PSA 22:16, fulfilled throughout the gospels when they nailed His hands and feet to the cross, Matt 27:31 and MAR 15:24.
4. Prophecy of casting lots for His garments, PSA 22:18, fulfilled in MAT 27:35.
5. Prophecy that not one of His bones would be broken, PSA 34:20, fulfilled in JOH 19:34-36.
6. Prophecy of the false witnesses, PSA 35:11, fulfilled in MAR 14:57-58.
7. Prophecy of the betrayal of Judas Iscariot, PSA 41:9, fulfilled in LUK 22:47-48.
8. Prophecy that they would offer The Lord Jesus Christ gall and vinegar, PSA 69:21, fulfilled in MAT 27:34.
9. Prophecy of the physical abuse and humiliation of Jesus, ISA 50:6, fulfilled in MAT 26:67, ISA 53:5.
10. Prophecy that He would be silent as He approached the cross, ISA 53:7, fulfilled in MAR 15:4-5.
11. Prophecy of His crucifixion, ISA 53:12, fulfilled in LUK 23:33-34.
12. Prophecy of the piercing of Jesus’ side, ZEC 12:10, fulfilled in JOH 19:34.
13. Prophecy of the nailing of Jesus’ hands and feet, ZEC 13:6, fulfilled in JOH 20:27.
14. Prophecy that he would be born in Bethlehem, MIC 5:2, fulfilled in MAT 2:1.
It will be a time marked by the reign of Antichrist upon earth.
Though the Tribulation Period begins with the Antichrist promising peace and prosperity to the world, it will be a time of unparalleled judgment as the wrath of God is poured out upon the inhabitants of the earth.