Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Meet the Great Red Dragon. Part 11. The Devil and his ace trump, religion.
Friday, May 23, 2003
The faithfulness of God versus the genius of Satan is the great issue in the middle of the tribulation, the time of the devil’s desperation, the last 3 1/2 years of the tribulation – the great time when Satan will try to destroy the Jews completely.
Satan has always used religion to intensify all forms of evil – so religion becomes motivation for the greatest systems of evil the world has ever known.
The Renaissance was a rebirth or revival of classical art, architecture, literature, and learning that originated in Italy in the 14th century and later spread throughout Europe.
Whatever false doctrine the Roman Catholic Church possessed at that time, the Renaissance was totally unsuccessful because it was a cultural attack.
The Reformation was a 16th-century movement in Western Europe that aimed at reforming some doctrines and practices of the Roman Catholic Church and resulted in the establishment of the Protestant churches.
The thing that started the Roman Catholic Church in the wrong direction was their doctrine, their false doctrine of trying to become the state.
Once the Roman Catholic Church departed from Bible Doctrine as the absolute authority they got into some serious trouble, which produced medieval times.
1. Prayers for the dead, began about A.D. 300.
2. Making the sign of the cross, A.D. 300.
3. Wax candles, about 320 A.D.
4. Worship of angels and dead saints, and use of images,
5. The Mass, as a daily celebration, 394 A.D.
6. The exaltation of Mary, the “Mother of God,” 431 A.D.
7. Priests dress differently from laymen, 500 A.D.
8. Extreme Unction, oil, incense; ointment, balm; 526 A.D.
9. The Doctrine of Purgatory, 593 A.D
10. Latin language, used in prayer and worship, 600 A.D.
11. Prayers directed to Mary, dead saints and angels, 600 A.D.
12. Title of pope, 607 A.D.
13. Kissing of pope’s foot, 709 A.D.
14. Temporal power of the popes, 750 A.D.
15. Worship of the cross, images and relics, 786 A.D.
16. Holy water, 850 A.D.
17. Worship of St. Joseph, 890 A.D.
18. College of Cardinals established, 927 A.D.
19. Baptism of bells, 965 A.D.
20. Canonization of dead saints, 995 A.D.
21. Fasting on Fridays and during Lent, 998 A.D.
22. Celibacy of the priesthood, 1079 A.D.
23. The Rosary, mechanical praying with beads, 1090 A.D.
24. The Inquisition, 1184 A.D.
25. Sale of Indulgences,
27. Confession of sins to a priest instead of God, 1215 A.D.
28. Adoration of the wafer (Host), 1220 A.D.
29. Bible forbidden to laymen, 1229 A.D.
30. The Scapular, 1251 A.D.
31. Cup forbidden to the people at communion,
32. Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible, 1545 A.D.
33. Apocryphal books added to the Bible, 1546 A.D.
Turn to COL 2:16
Turn to MAR 7:1
Turn to MAT 7:15
1. Christianity and religion are antithetical.
In Christianity, God saves mankind through personal faith in Jesus Christ.
In religion, man seeks to impress God with his works.
2. Religion can be classified as the devil’s ace trump.
3. Religion is a part of the devil’s strategy in being “like the most high God,” ISA 14:14.
4. Christianity is not a religion but an eternal relationship with God through personal faith in Christ.
5. Religion reflects the evil genius of Satan. Christianity represents the perfect integrity of God combined with His grace policy.
6. For deceit and error to be carried out effectively, Satan has devised a system of counterfeits of Christianity which are the counterfeits of religion.
7. Religion is Satan’s strategy for distracting mankind from the three categories of truth.
a. The laws of divine establishment, a part of the Mosaic Law.
b. The gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
c. Bible doctrine for the believer.
8. Religion motivates and produces every category of evil, violence, terrorism, and murder in order to enforce its way or to provide leverage to lure people into the sphere of the satanic counterfeit system.
9. Religion is not only characterized by the doctrine of demons, 1TI 4:1, but it has both false teachers and false prophets to communicate this information.
a. False teachers are masters of hypocrisy.
GAL 4:17 They eagerly seek you, not commendably, but they wish to shut you out, in order that you may seek them.
c. False teachers of religion appeal to human arrogance, 2CO 10:12.
e. False teachers promote self-righteousness, to include legalism, personality arrogance, authority arrogance, crusader arrogance, and works arrogance, 1TI 1:6-7.
f. False teachers are clever and can only be detected through the consistent perception and metabolization of doctrine in your own soul.
g. False teachers continue to operate throughout the Church-age, as this is the intensified period of the angelic conflict,