Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Meet one of the highest ranking angels, Abaddon. Part 14.
Wednesday, October 23, 2002
One of the great principles about living in the cosmic system is vulnerability to fear from listening to the noise or the sound coming from the cosmos.
Abaddon - occurs as a synonym for Sheol or Hades.
JAM 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
Abaddon means destruction and Hades is the place of destruction for the demons.
Abaddon and Apollyon both mean “destroyer.”
In Revelation, Abaddon is said to be the “beast” who ascends from the abyss.
In Jewish teaching the Abyss was often associated with the ocean depths. The New Ungers Bible Dictionary - the Hebrew word for deep “tehom,” means the earliest age of the ocean or the Abyss.
GEN 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
GEN 1:2 And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep [abyss]; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
1. Paul discusses Abaddon as the “man of sin,” 2Th 2.
2. In REV 17:5, he is the beast that the woman is riding who is the “mother of harlots” referring to all the false religious systems of this world.
4. In Dan 7, Abaddon is called the “little horn,” who will definitely be different from the first ten kings.
5. He will also become the ruler of the entire earth in the ultimate and final realization of Satans governmental system, REV 13:4.
6. In 2Th 2, Abaddon will occupy the temple of God, taking a seat in it and declaring himself to be God.
7. In DAN 8:10, Abaddon will lead his military of fallen angels to even defeat Gods angels for a short time.
8. After the Israelites have returned to the Holy Land, Abaddon will summon his rulers and their armies to help him attempt to destroy them, Eze 38-39.
Turn to REV 19:19
Turn to REV 9:11
Apollyon is very close to the Greek word for Apollo. Apollo next to Zeus was one of the top demons. He was involved in the great attack of Gen 6, though they may not have had sex with women but did something even worse, since hes in the abyss.
Apollo was the demon god of light who was very much involved with the kingdom of darkness and Satan himself.
Apollo was one of the first champions of the angel of light principle from demons. He was the champion of lucidity or intellectuality. He was called the god of the sun.
His name also was Phoebus which means “bright” or “pure,” and eventually he was thought to have been connected with the sun.
Apollyon means the exterminator in the Greek. In the Hebrew he is called destruction.
There is only one other fallen angel who probably was on an equal basis with him - a prince called Beelzebub. He is Satans inside contact for deceitful things.
Beelzebub deals in the realm of deceit whereas Apollyon deals in the realm of the military.
Robert R. McLaughlin All Rights Reserved 2002