Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Sunday, May 11, 2014
GEN 1:26-27, God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
There seems to be an overlooking attitude of the existence of the female part of God which I like to refer to as the motherhood of God.
In the doctrine of the Trinity, we have God the Father representing the leader of the family, or the Royal Family.
We have God the Son representing the Son of the Father, willing to die for the other sons and daughters in the family called the body of Christ.
2CO 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
HEB 7:26 For it was fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;
He was, as it were in the analogy, the good son in the Royal family, whereas you and I would would be known as the bad sons or the rebellious daughters.
MAT 3:17 “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well‑pleased.”
If God created the man and then He took a rib from the man who was created in the image of God and built a woman from that rib then the woman was created in the image of God as well.
It is that feminine part of God that I believe is revealed by the third member of the Trinity, God the Holy Spirit.
GEN 1:27 And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
GEN 5:2 He created them male and female, and He blessed them and named them Man in the day when they were created.
The word for Helper is the masuline singular noun of parakletos which means a Comforter, Counselor, Helper, “one called upon for support or assistance.
It was better for the believer to call the Spirit “Mother” than anything else because that word communicates something essential about the way in which the Holy Spirit deals with the children of God.
Those who experience the Trinity in their hearts know that “a family must be complete. We must have a Father, Mother, and Husband.”
ISA 66:13 “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; And you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”
ISA 49:15 “Can a woman forget her nursing child, And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
1. The Holy Spirit is called the Comforter and who more than anyone else is known to comfort the believer than God the Holy Spirit.
2. The word “Mother” does not introduce a distinction of genders into the deity, but deals only with the activity of God in the world.
3, Proclaiming the motherhood of God as it relates to the ministry of God the Holy Spirit, we need to note that it was the Spirit, not Mary, who was the true mother of Jesus.
LUK 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God.
4. Since the “Holy Spirit” prepared the Lord in the womb and then finally brought Him into the light. the motherhood of God gave Him [Jesus] into the arms of His mother, and with invisible hands carried Him more than his mother did.”
5. The Spirit is the mother of all living things because she has a special role in the on-going creation of the world, when the man was made from a clump of earth the Holy Spirit was very close through the breathing of the breath of God into the man.”
GAL 4:26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.
Jesus told Nicodemus that he must be born again, not from his mother’s womb, but from God.
The point being is that there is another Mother, not the one who physically gave you birth, that one doesn’t matter: you must have another Mother who will give you a spiritual birth.”
6. Because of the spiritual principle of true biblical motherhood, Sataan has counterfeited this motherhood through the deception of elevating the mother of Jesus to a position of deity.
Ultimately, then, the Holy Spirit is the Mother of the Christian in the sense that she is the active agent in conversion.
7. The first duty of the Spirit is to preach Christ, but the motherhood of God as it relates to the ministry of God the Holy Spirit or the motherly work of TLJC does not end there.
8. The Motherhood of God also cares for the her spiritual children just as a human mother cares for her physical children.
She protects, guides, admonishes, and comforts the child of God throughout the changing years of earthly life.
The heavenly Mother works individually since she knows the thoughts and weaknesses of her children and guides them in the path that is best for them.
1. Godly mothers cherish their young children and tenderly nurture them.
1TH 2:7 But we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children.
LUK 2:19 “But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.”
2. Godly mothers recognize that children are a great gift and reward and thus view and treat them as such.
GEN 4:1, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD.”
PSA 127:3 “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward.”
3. Godly mothers instruct their children in God’s truths.
PRO 1:8 “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.”
PRO 6:20 “My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother.”
King Lemuel in Proverbs 31:1 said that it was his mother who taught him about how to recognize a godly woman who would be a godly mother for his children.
Timothy’s godly heritage was a result of his mother and her mother before her (2TI 1:5).
Even in the case of an unsaved or absentee father, mothers can still reach their children by faith (1CO 7:14).
4. Godly mothers are willing and faithful to discipline their children.
PRO 29:15 “The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother.”
5. Godly mothers do not pick favorites among their own children.
PRO 28:21 says, “To show partiality is not good, because for a piece of bread a man will transgress.”
Not only is picking favorites not Christ-like behavior (JAM 2:1), but it can lead to children sinning as they grow jealous, establish rivalries, and become deceptive and manipulative.
JAM 2:1 My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.
Motherhood is certainly wearying, but mothers must stand fast in their calling. As they are faithful in their work at home (TIT 2:4-5),
God will be honored, and He promises to honor those who honor Him (1SA 2:30, PRO 31:28).