Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Paul as well as every CA believer is appointed by a perfect God to be a gift to Jesus Christ.
Friday, May 21, 2010
Paul, after mistakes and reversionism finally oriented to the entire plan of God for his life. He finally oriented to the times of the Gentiles.
Greatness in invisible heroes has two characteristics for the believer: +H and personal sense of destiny.
Sharing the happiness of God and having a strong PSD means fantastic protection against arrogance and therefore a life of great tranquillity on this earth!
Therefore the name Paul or “little” describes how Paul began to view himself through the lens of God’s incredible character and God’s infinite grace.
apostolos - apostle and from the 5th century B.C. it meant the admiral of the fleet - the highest office in the church.
This is the highest office in the church and it carried with it absolute authority over all the churches.
All nouns have quality and identity. Identity is indicated by the definite article; quality is indicated by omission of the definite article.
There is no definite article with “apostle” and therefore the quality of the gift is emphasized.
A brief doctrine of apostleship.
1. Apostleship is the highest spiritual gift ever to exist in the church. It is sovereignly bestowed by the Holy Spirit to certain individual — 1 Corinthians 12:11, 28; Ephesians 4:11. An apostle had the authority of a dictator, but when the canon of scripture was completed the authority of the apostle was replaced by the authority of the New Testament.
2. The apostles were appointed after the resurrection of Jesus Christ — Ephesians 4:8,11. Hence, they must be distinguished from the apostles to Israel in Matthew 10:2ff.
These twelve had a ministry to the Jews during the dispensation of the hypostatic union. Judas Iscariot is included because Christ loved him to the end.
Today all local churches are autonomous with authority vested in the canon and the local pastor-teacher.
3. The qualification of apostles. Apostles had to be eyewitnesses to the resurrection of Christ. This qualified the eleven and Paul was qualified on the Damascus road — Acts 1:22; 1 Cor 9:1; 15:8,9.
1 Cor 9:1-2
Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
4. The authority of the apostles was established by the possession of a certain temporary gift which went with it. Every apostle also had the gift of miracles, healing, and tongues.
5. There were others who had delegated authority from apostles and therefore in a sense exercised from apostolic authority when they were sent on apostolic missions. They include Barnabas - Acts 14:14; GAL 2:9; James, the Lord’s half-brother - 1 Cor 15:7; GAL 1:19; Apollos - 1Cor 4:6,9; Sylvanus and Timothy - 1 Thess 1:1; 2:6.
“of Christ Jesus” - masculine singular genitive, Christou Iesou - Paul was appointed by the Lord Jesus Christ and Paul belongs to Him.
“Jesus” [I)hsou] is the name for His humanity but Christos (Xristoj) ) is not a name, it is a title — anointed one, appointed one.
The Father appointed Jesus, and He appointed Paul to be Jesus Christ’s apostle to the Gentiles.
“by the will of God” is literally, “through the will of God,” dia plus the genitive singular of thelema which means will, purpose, design, plus the genitive of possession of theos.
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God’s will, purpose, and design.”
The absence of the definite article draws attention to the quality of the will, design, and purpose as well as the essence of God.
1. It was the purpose of God in eternity past to take the worst sinner who ever lived and make him the greatest saint who ever lived — 1 Timothy 1:12-16. This is grace.