Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Pennsylvania Conference 2005, Part 4.
The Church at Smyrna.
Wednesday, June 22 PM, 2005
1. The fulfillment of the Christian way of life and the completion of the plan of God for our lives must be motivated by the function of our royal priesthood inside the PPOG.
2. True motivation is derived from Bible doctrine resident in the soul causing personal love for God, as the motivating virtue, and resulting in that functional virtue toward man, impersonal love.
3. No believer can fulfill the plan of God when he has false motivation.
Every believer has been enlisted in the spiritual army of God as a spiritual soldier of Jesus Christ.
The average Christian soldier has gone AWOL because of no humility, and this is especially true when it comes to keeping his place in the body of Christ.
GAL 1:6 I am amazed that you have so quickly gone AWOL from Him, [God the Father], Who called you by the grace of Christ for a different gospel;
1TI 4:1 The Spirit makes it clear that as time goes on, some are going to give up on the faith and chase after demonic illusions put forth by professional liars.
In Paul’s day they withdrew and went AWOL from Paul because of the pressure to stay with doctrine,
Withdrawal and going AWOL = rejection of metabolized doctrine circulating in the soul.
JOH 6:66 As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew [went AWOL], and were not walking with Him anymore.
1. Going AWOL is an act of reversing or turning in the opposite way, or a state of being so turned.
2. Going AWOL is the act of regressing to a former state, habit, belief, or practice.
3. Going AWOL is a reversal of your priorities, your attitudes, your affections.
4. Going AWOL is the status of the believer who fails to execute the PPOG for the Church-age.
5. Going AWOL is maximum control of the old sin nature over the life of the believer.
6. Going AWOL is lack of spiritual growth, failure to attain the three stages of spiritual adulthood.
7. Going AWOL is the believer’s retrogression because of negative volition toward the mystery doctrine of the Church-age, which both defines and reveals God’s plan, will, and purpose for your life.
8. Going AWOL is characterized by negative volition to doctrine, being influenced by evil, and results in perpetual carnality causing a life of perpetual discipline.
9. Going AWOL is a technical theological term used for rejecting absolute truth, and drawing into your mind or accepting relative truth.
1CO 1:26 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
Here is Simon the Pharisee, a man of the cloth, looked up to.
Here is the town hooker, looked down upon.
He is a church leader.
She is a streetwalker.
He makes a living promoting standards.
She’s made a living breaking them.
Heâ€™s hosting the party.
Sheâ€™s crashing it.
Donâ€™t think thoughts you donâ€™t want Jesus to hear.
She uses both to bathe the feet of Christ – “she rained tears” on His feet.
What one discovery has she made that Simon hasn’t?
What one treasure does she cherish that Simon doesn’t?
She came thirsty.
People like Simon don’t need grace; they analyze it.
While she drinks up, he puffs up.
What is our typical strategy for treating a troubled relationship?
“My spouse needs my forgiveness?”
You give love by first receiving it.
PHI 2:6 who, although He preexisted in the essence of God, did not think equality with God a gain to be seized,
2PE 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
ROM 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Apart from God, “the heart is deceitful above all things,” JER 17:9.
EPH 3:17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
The 7:47 Principle: Receive first, love second.
People are either constantly defending their friends, or criticizing their enemies.
When you are quick to jump on some other believer who allegedly has failed, who allegedly has made a mistake, who has in reality failed, and in reality made a mistake, all you are doing is borrowing trouble for yourself.
You cannot borrow trouble and strength at the same time.
If you are borrowing strength, you are living inside the PPOG under the principle of live and let live.
You are minding your own business, and if you are borrowing trouble, you are going to get it.
“To die” = cosmic death, carnality in reversionism.
Remember – pres-act-imp – mnemoneuo = to recall; recalling doctrine in this case.
The only way that doctrine can be more real than friends that you see everyday, is recall, memory.
The imperative of command for a mandate regarding the application of doctrine to the situation we find here.
Perf-act-ind – lambano = the Bible doctrine they have received.
Perfective present result = the application to doctrine, where you are pulled in one way, but doctrine says it is the wrong way.
Everyone gets themselves into a push-pull situation where the friends are pushing and the doctrine of the word is pulling.
A lot of people do that; they postpone the decision until tomorrow in hope that by tomorrow the problem will go away.
Active voice – the believer who has PVTD produces the action of the verb.
Declarative mood = the reality of a past perception of doctrine, demanding a present application.
Robert R. McLaughlin
All Rights Reserved