Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
A profile of Jacob, the sign in Heaven. Part 4.
Sunday, July 14, 2002
Jacob - (Greek) Iakob - (Hebrew) Jaaqobh = heel-catcher, supplanter, one who overthrows by force, treachery or deception, a layer of snares.
EXO 3:6 “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.”
MAT 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
1. Satan hates when God can take a person like Jacob, Paul or you or me and yet with all of our weaknesses use us to glorify Him in the angelic conflict.
2. In the angelic conflict, Satan tries to convince people that God is unfair, unjust and a God who is not merciful or gracious.
3. Satan hates when the grace of God is glorified because it reveals the love and the mercy of God and how God is not unfair and unjust and how He would do everything for those whom He has created.
4. In this dispensation of grace, the church-age, God demonstrates the fallacy of the satanic lie through people who are graced-out totally.
Hypocrisy is a manifestation of an evil mental attitude.
People use evil thinking to justify their wrong actions, and hypocritical speech to conceal their thoughts.
Hiphil imperfect - galal = to be caused to roll away the stone, to have something motivate you or give you strength to do it.
Leah = “wearied wild-cow.” Gesenius and the Biblical Library on page 265.
Rachel = “ewe, the predominant element of the flock.”
TLJC is from the tribe of Judah,
When dealing with a deceiver you must be precise and accurate with your words.
Laban invited “all the men of the place” to the marriage banquet so that when the prank played on Jacob becomes known to all, it will not be easy for Jacob to cast off Leah.
When Jacob deceived his father Isaac, he pretended to be the elder when he was the younger.
1. In the ancient world it was customary for the bride to be veiled until they entered the bed-chamber.
2. When Jacob took her into his chambers and into his bed, it was also customary that the room would be completely dark with no candles.
3. The conversation was to be in whispers and in brief words of love.
4. When they got married in the ancient world they had sex for the first time, so Jacob would not have been familiar with Rachels body!
Robert R. McLaughlin All Rights Reserved 2002