Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Wednesday April 8, 2015
We understand the significance of the phrase in verse 24 "Seventy weeks" refers to 490 years.
The Purpose of the Seventy Sevens in DAN 9:24.
1. The fulfillment of the prophecy is “to finish or bring the transgression of the sin of rebellion to an end.”
One of the most important parts of the prophecy which is literally "to bring the sin of rejection to its ultimate conclusion and end which is the sin of unbelief toward TLJC.
"to make an end of sin" = the teaching of revealing to us that the ultimate sin of rejection of TLJC is what is in view.
Kala - to bring sin to its end or to its ultimate conclusion or completion and to reveal the epitome or the quintessence of man's personal sin.
I would mean to show you the end result of the negative decision that you are making.
The end of the Jewish people's sin refers to the ultimate culmination of sin not the end of sin but the climax of the really in view which is the rejection of the Jews toward their very own Messiah, JOH 1:11.
For the worse sin that a person can commit is not murder, lying, stealing, adultery, sexual sins or sins of immorality, but the worse one of all is rejection of TLJC.
The ultimate sin = refers to the greatest of all sins" = the rejection of TLJC as taught in JOH 1:11 when He came to His own, those who were His own did not receive Him.
That was the epitome or the quintessence of their sin and rebellion, - when they rejected their Messiah when He came to present Himself to the Jews as their redeemer.
When He rode on a colt or an ass into Jerusalem fulfilling DAN 9:24-27, it says in LUK 19:37b the whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice because of all the miracles which they had seen,
Part of the prophecy given in DAN 9:24, was to "make an end to sin" or, in reality, to reveal the ultimate sin of rejection of Him as the Messiah.
What He did do is to reveal the epitome of sin which was not murder, or the SOT, or all of the different MAS, but the essential of the real problem of sin which is rejection of Him as the Messiah.
His appearance to the Jews and His rejection by the Jews revealed the ultimate sin or the worse sin of all, the sin of unbelief!!
REV 21:8 "But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
"put an end to sin" - "to reveal the ultimate of sin" referring to their rejection of their Messiah on the exact day the prophets said that He would present Himself to Jerusalem.
They accepted one part of His ministry when they wanted the crown.....but they rejected the other part of His ministry which was their rejection of the cross.
ISA 59:20 "And a Redeemer will come to Zion, And to those who turn from transgression in Jacob," declares the Lord.
The first one dealt with the climax or the ultimate sin, which I believe is rejection of Christ, the only sin that takes people to the eternal lake of fire, JOH 3:18,36; 16:9.
JOH 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
JOH 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
2. DAN 9:24 "to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin," refers to the atonement or the payment for sin as was taught to the Jews in the Old Testament in passages like (ISA 27:9; EZE 36:25-27; 37:23; JER 31:31-34).
ISA 27:9 Therefore through this Jacob's iniquity will be forgiven; And this will be the full price of the pardoning of his sin:
3. The third Purpose of the Seventy Sevens in the negative form, though positive for us, in DAN 9:24 is the specific things that the fulfillment of the prophecy would accomplish is to “make atonement for iniquity.”
HEB 7:26 For it was fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;
This was fulfilled by our Lord where it says in JOH 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head, and gave up His spirit.
4. There was the prophecy that says to “bring in everlasting righteousness.”
This is a prophecy about the coming of the king for the second time and setting up the Millennial kingdom which we characterized by such passages as ISA 11:2-10.
10. Sickness will be removed. The ministry of the King as the healer will be seen throughout the Millennium so that sickness and even death will be removed, the exception being "death" in dealing with criminal sin or capital punishment, ISA 33:24; JER 30:17; EZE 34:16.
14. There will not be the tragedies of mental illness or of infant deaths, ISA 65:20.
15. The earth's population will soar and there will be sex. Children will be born to the believers who began the Millennium and will have a sin nature and therefore need salvation, JER 30:20; 31:29; EZE 47:22; ZEC 10:8.
18. There will be a unified language. The language barriers will be removed so that there can be free social intercourse, ZEP 3:9.
5. “Seal up vision and prophecy” = The phrase seal up literally means to shut up prophecy to indicate that the prophecy is going to be totally fulfilled.
6. The text says to “anoint the most holy place or the holies of holies.” This refers to anointing the temple though others argue that it can also refer to the Christ.
The point is those six principles reveal the Purpose of the Seventy Sevens in DAN 9:24 and this section lists six specific things that Israel is involve with and must understand, three of them are negative and three are positive.
1. The fulfillment of the prophecy is “to finish or bring the transgression of the sin of rebellion to an end or completion.”
2. To make an end of sin which deals with the payment for sin.
3. To “make atonement for iniquity,” which is expiation and propitiation
4. To “bring in everlasting righteousness” referring to the eternal kingdom beginning with the Millennial reign.5. To “seal up vision and prophecy” which indicates that the prophecy will be totally fulfilled.6. “Anoint the most holy place or the holies of holies” which appears to be a reference to anointing the temple, or as some others argue that it refers to the Christ.