Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
The secret of the mystery, part 119. The secret of sanctification - part 3.
Wednesday, June 7, 2006
Phase one, positional sanctification, refers to salvation at which point the baptism of the Spirit enters every believer into union with the person of Jesus Christ.
Positional sanctification is a reference to the Church-age believer’s union with Christ which is accomplished at the moment of salvation through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
“In Christ” each Church-age believer is positionally superior to all angels, including Satan as well as all the elect and fallen angels.
This part of mystery doctrine pointing to the elevation of the Church over both the elect and fallen angels announced the total defeat of Satan, which is why Christ’s unexpected announcement of the Church just prior to the cross had such a powerful impact on angels.
1) The believer possesses the righteousness of God the Father imputed, and we share the perfect righteousness of Christ through our positional sanctification.
1JO 3:9 No one who is born of God sins, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
2) The believer possesses eternal life, 1JO 5:11-12.
1CO 1:2,30 - even the worst of believers (those in the Corinthian church) are sanctified in Christ Jesus.
1) It is not an experience; it is neither emotional nor ecstatics.
2) It is not progressive; it cannot be improved in time or in eternity.
3) It is not related to human merit.
4) It is obtained en toto at the moment of salvation through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
5) It is understood only through cognition of the pertinent doctrine.
6) It is eternal in nature; it cannot be changed by God, angels, or mankind.
Positional sanctification is divided into two parts theologically: retroactive positional truth and current positional truth.
1) Identification with Christ in His spiritual death is rejection of good and evil, tantamount to separation from the first husband, the old sin nature.
2) Identification with Christ in His physical death is separation from good and evil, tantamount to separation from our first husband, the old sin nature.
3) Identification with Christ in His burial is tantamount to actual divorce, where there is death between the two involved.
In current positional truth, the believer is identified with Christ in His resurrection, ascension, and session at the right hand of God the Father, tantamount to our second marriage which demands “walking in newness of life.”
Who are the sanctified ones? The backsliders, the carnal believers, the new believers, and the mature believers.
Experiential sanctification takes place only when the believer lives and functions in God’s pre-designed plan for his life.
The function of the spiritual life depends on the three spiritual skills: the filling of the Holy Spirit, the metabolization of doctrine, and the utilization of the ten problem-solving devices.
Living in the divine plan that God has designed for your life is the only way that experiential sanctification is accomplished.
JOH 17:17 “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth.”
Experiential sanctification has to do with the believer in time.
This is also called godliness (eusebia = the spiritual life).