Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries
Similarities of being a soldier and the Art of War; Part 10.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
a. Acknowledgment of personal, postsalvation sins
2 Sa 12:13; PSA 51:4.
b. Appeal to the finished work of Christ as Basis for rebound (instantaneous recovery)
HEB 9:14; 1JO 2:1-2.
c. Isolation of the sin (forgetting it) Phil.3:13; HEB 12:15-17.
d. Moving on (Phil.3:14; HEB 6:1; HEB 12:12-13).
The real issue is that God still has a marvelous plan for blessing the cosmic believer, but Godâ€™s plan can be executed only in the power of the filling of the Spirit, EPH 5:18.
1. To fill up a deficiency. At salvation we are deficient of doctrine and therefore we need to be pleroo or filled with the Spirit.
2. A second meaning of pleroo is to fully possess. The believer must be fully possessed by the Holy Spirit and Bible doctrine before he can be fully possessed by receiving Godâ€™s highest and best.
3. The third meaning is to fully influence. The believer is to be fully influenced by the filling of the Spirit and Bible doctrine so that he can have capacity for blessing.
4. To fill with a certain quality. The filling of the Spirit and Bible Doctrine is the highest quality with which the believer can be filled.
It is used for the believer controlled by the Holy Spirit, EPH 5:18, “but keep on being filled with the Spirit.” We have a deficiency when under the control of the old sin nature.
The filling of the Holy Spirit then is simply a synonym for spirituality.
It is used for the pastor communicating doctrine to his sheep. COL 1:25, “that I might fill up the deficiency of the Word of God.”
EPH 3:19, “that you might be filled up with all the fullness [divine blessing] from God.”
It is also used for the construction of the edification complex of the soul.
It is used for perception of doctrine resulting in capacity for happiness in maturity, 1JO 1:4, “that your happiness might be fulfilled.”
It so important for the Christian soldier to understand his need to repent or metanoia, or change his system of thinking as he goes forth in the greatest battle ever fought or the greatest victory ever won.
1. The Christian way of Life is a supernatural way of life and as such it demands a supernatural power or dynamics for its execution, (PHI 2:13).
2. The filling of the Holy Spirit is the second of the ten problem-solving devices found in the Word of God and solves the problem of our inability as a frail man to serve God, by empowering the believer for the fulfillment of the Christian way of life.
3. The filling of the Spirit then simply may be defined as the Holy Spiritâ€™s control of the believerâ€™s soul.
EPH 4:24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
COL 3:10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him.
ROM 13:14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.
ROM 13:12 The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
4. The filling of the Spirit, as an experiential reality in life, must be distinguished from other ministries of the Holy Spirit, such as the baptism of the Spirit (1CO 12:13), regeneration (Titus 3:5-6), the indwelling of the Spirit (John 14:16-17), and the seal of the Spirit (EPH 1:13).
5. The filling of the Spirit also solves the problems with the believerâ€™s lifestyle -(e.g., legalism), as attempting to execute the spiritual life or Christian service in the energy of the flesh.
6. The filling of the Holy Spirit involves access to the power of God for the Christian life.
7. The filling of the Spirit is essential for spiritual combat, and for the prevention of satanic influence of the soul (EPH 6:10-12), and, when coupled with the “Main Line of Resistance,” called “the full armor from God,” is sufficient to win the battle over satanic influences.
You could never walk in humility,
you could never walk in unity,
you could never walk different that the world walks,
you could never walk in the light, never walk in love,
and you could never walk in wisdom unless you are energized by the Spirit of God.
The life of God in the soul is the only thing that can produce that kind of living and therefore you see if that werenâ€™t true then unregenerate people could live like that.
In our subject of the spiritual warfare and the Art of War we begin by dealing with the spiritual transformation which cleans out the soul of the Onward Christian soldier.
2CO 4:7 says, “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves;”
This power is of God, not of ourselves, however, also note that this power is found inside of our earthen vessels or human body.
2CO 13:4 For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we shall live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you.