Grace Bible Church
Pastor Robert R. McLaughlin
Wednesday January 17, 2018
Pastor Rick Bettez
What makes a great Bel (man or woman) is their capacity for blessing which comes from spiritual growth & understanding
3 divine principles in life;
Respect for authority, spiritual discernment & intestinal fortitude.
All 3 of these qualities fall under the principle of
‘The Chain of Command’ because all 3 acknowledge and function under authority even if the authority is wrong.
Intestinal fortitude is the endurance and strength to stand in the gap even when things get ugly…when pain and humiliation are constantly knocking at your door, you stay the course!
1Sam 25:3 is a clear indicator by God that we are learning about an Unbel with stubborn pride, disdain for truth & justice and ignorance that runs deep within his nature.
1Sam 25:10-11 are showing us a mind/soul that is so blinded by cosmic viewpoint & selfish ambition that he (Nabal) is actually pitting himself and all those associated with him against God.
Abigail knows what David and his men had done for the flock of her husband, she knew who David was and she had enough spiritual discernment to realize the plan of God was unfolding in her backyard!
Abigail’s integrity and respect for authority shines through as she is willing to endure the humiliation and take her husband’s discipline upon herself.
Act 5:29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.”
Spiritual discernment is the only gauge we have concerning our interaction with authority.
Abigail is a Bel with doctrinal knowledge & discernment having the ability to realize the plan of God. Though she has done this without her husband’s permission she is following God, not man.
Standing against authority is only done in the rare cases of eminent danger, protecting others who are innocent & when you are pressured to stand in the midst of evil.
Abigail handled the situation with all 3 qualities; Respect for authority, spiritual discernment & intestinal fortitude. This type of behavior is the fruit of a Bel who has taken steps toward spiritual maturity.
People & situations that use to confuse or frustrate you, will begin to be illuminated and eliminated because of your spiritual growth.
Under the laws of divine establishment, authority is defined as that legal power, delegated by God, whereby certain persons have jurisdiction and responsibility for others.
Eph 5:22 – IDIOS, Greek term; for be subject to your own. Meaning private or singular submission, not a lifestyle of slavery but a deep, respect for one man. Respect that responds to that authority.
Eph 5:24 HYPOTASSO, Greek verb for – is subject. The action of submitting, to obey voluntarily, it was often used in a military sense referring to being under a command.
Legitimate authority is established according to scripture, for example; The laws of the land, or established principles, or standards within marriage & parenting.
(1)The Temporal realm- laws of divine establishment.
(2) The Spiritual realm-application of standards within a dispensation.
- Freedom- human volition, the ability to self-regulate and make decisions apart from violation of law or authority.
- Privacy - the right to hold opinions & make decisions, engage in actions which do not interfere with the rights of others.
- Recognizing the sacredness of property and life, meaning; your rights of living your life as a free citizen, business owner or homeowner is not infringed upon.
- Authority, enforcement of law, which is the guardian of freedom, privacy, property, and life.Joh 8:32 "you shall know the truth (Bible Doctrine), and the truth shall make you free (spiritually)."Psa 119:45 I will walk at liberty (freedom); for I seek Your precepts (doctrines).Gal 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set you free. Therefore keep standing firm, and do not be subject (entangled) again to the yoke of slavery (living in the cosmic system).illegitimate authority is illegal, unlawful, generally established by forces influenced by evil. They attain power by majority movements of anti-Christian values or by force and even covert actionsIllegitimate authority is that authority established by Satan through the function of the cosmic system.illegitimate authority is delegated by Satan as the ruler of this world in three categories:
Tyranny, false doctrine and power struggles.
Deu 11:26 see, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse:
There is freedom in PPOG as well as consequences.
Notice that there is blessing for respecting and listening to the voice of authority. By the same token when we choose other gods (cosmic system) we have to accept that consequence as well.
Mat 8:27 and the men marveled, saying, "what kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him?”
The Lord Jesus Christ is the one true authority over everything.
Mar 1:27 and they were all amazed, so that they debated among themselves, saying, "what is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him."
1Pet 3:22 who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him (Lord Jesus Christ).
The Pastor and church officers have authority over the congregation in the local church,
Heb 13:7 & 17;
Isa 54:17 “No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their vindication is from Me,” declares the Lord.
Authority is a stabilizing agent that prevents chaos and loss of freedom. Without authority and then accepting its influence any organization like marriage, church, family, business & government rapidly deteriorates.
The husband's authority over his wife provides great happiness in category two love,
Eph 6:1 children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
This authority guarantees a society that has limited crime and substance abuse issues.
Eph 6:2-3 honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise),that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.
Without the respect for authority toward the military a nation can in no way maintain a powerful status in the world, therefore that nation will eventually be overcome or consumed by a larger force.