Grace Bible Church
Robert R. McLaughlin
Tree of Life Weekly
Dispensation of the Mosaic Law. The Fourth Commandment. The Sabbath. Part 2.
The doctrine of the Sabbath. Point 1, Introduction, Freedom demands rest and rest demands freedom.
- The temporal Sabbath or rest, Heb 3:7-13. b. The moment by moment Sabbath, Heb 4:1-7. c. The interim stage of the sabbath or rest which begins the day of your death or Rapture to the eternal sabbath of eternal life; MAT 11:28.
In 6 days God took the earth, which was a mess from the rulership of Satan and He restored and converted it into a wonderful place to live.
In 6 days He provided everything that man would need on the earth to survive and live in happiness = Food, perfect climate, a garden, He even provided a Bible class with the greatest Bible teacher of all time...the Lord God.
The Hebrew verb kalah means to end, to be finished, to complete, to be totally at rest.
Rested - Qal imperfect of Shabath ie. Sabbath means to rest.
So, on the 7th day or on Saturday, God finished His work, in GEN 2:2 the LORD says, that He ended or finished His work. This is what we call “Sabbath” or the “rest of grace”. Everything that man would ever need was provided by God. So...He rested.
This is what we call grace...God does the work and man does the benefitting.
You can't work for divine provision, you can't work for blessing, grace and works are antagonistic!
Paul said in ROM 11:6, “But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.”
Just like God provided for Adam in perfect environment, God has provided for you in eternity past everything you will ever need.
The N.T. application of the Sabbath is the subject of rest.
- Rest is a peace in the mind and spirit. Rest means that I'm free from worrying, anxiety, frustration, etc.
- It also means to remain confident.
- To trust under extreme pressure.
The most popular Hebrew word for peace is the word nuwach, and it means to settle down, (which is something many people need); To give comfort; To be at rest from troubles and anxieties.
- Loipoi, the most popular Greek word for rest means recreation and the remaining rest for the believer.
- Another Greek word I want to give you is anapauo = to cease from work in order to receive strength.
The state of mind in which there is complete and total peace being free from worries, anxieties and fears.
Point 2. Salvation Rest, MAT 11:28. Salvation is described in terms of rest, the rest of eternal life.
Point 3. Supergrace Rest. The land of Canaan is a type of the supergrace life, and in the context of HEB 3:11, supergrace is manifest by faith‑rest.
For example, the maximum use of faith-rest with doctrine and the maximum application of doctrine from the heart or the right lobe of the soul.
HEB 3:11, as I swore in My wrath, 'they shall not enter My rest.
There is a temporal sabbath i.e., mentioned in HEB 3:11 and this is for all believers. This is the sabbath for the mature believer.
- If you had saddled a horse on Friday, you could not remove the saddle if the horse was still saddled on the sabbath. On Saturday you couldn't saddle or unsaddle a horse.
- On Saturday you couldn't cook anything.
- If you have mud on your robe you were not allowed to clean it off.
- You couldn't stop anyone from bleeding on the Sabbath, you had to wait for Sunday.
The commandment said to remember grace.” The commandment was a ritual. It had to do with what you think.
HEB 3:7-10, Notice the phrase in verse 10...they have not known my ways.
The modern tendency of apostasy today stresses the works and production of the believer. just like the Jews distorted the ritual sabbath, most Christians distort the real one.
The main problem is the believers ignorance of doctrine.
When God gets down to indicting you He doesn't mention your failure to do this or that but He indicts you for your stupidity and ignorance concerning His plan.
Ignorance of doctrine means a breakdown of the spiritual sabbath in your life which is in reality....faith-rest.
This rest is a state in which the believer has a relaxed mental attitude no matter what the situation may look like. A heart of unbelief is a heart without rest.
No faith-rest is to say God is a liar.
- asah - to manufacture something out of something. b. bara - to create something out of nothing. c. jatsar - creation of male body. d. banah - built - used for woman's body.
“And God said” The word for God is Elohim (plural) - whenever you find Elohim it normally refers to the Trinity.
Every person (with few exceptions) has someone by grace of God that has been provided for them.
“Said” - Qal imperfect - this is the pronouncement of a decree that will always exist! - ie. “Let us make man in our own image.”
Now, in reproduction we pass down our OSN and physical traits of body but God gives life to the soul, (Gen 5:3).
ISA 57:16 “For I will not contend forever, Neither will I always be angry; For the spirit would grow faint before Me, And the soul breath of those whom I have made.”
“Make” is the Hebrew verb asah which is used for the invisible part of man. Jatsar - creation of male body which asah refers to the immaterial essence of man or his soul.
Asah means to manufacture something out of something.
God rested because He had just created man in His own in image.
God's image - Elohim = same essence, but different personalities. Taught - Isa 48:16, Mat 28:19. The Father planned salvation - Joh 4:34, 5:17. The Son executed salvation and the plan; Heb 10:7, Joh 4:34.
The Spirit reveals salvation; Joh 16:8-11.